Find the Angle of Parable Tangent from Human Running Step

In summary, the researcher has provided a formula for calculating the stride (step) angle tangent using the person's step height and step length. The formula is tan-1(4*height/step length), but it is unclear why the height is multiplied by 4. The formula is derived from a theoretical arc traced by a foot during a step and the ground, and it involves finding the angle of the arc created by the person's step height and step length.
Barkiernan
I am a masters student studying motion analysis in human running.

I need to find the angle of the parable tangent derived from the theoretical arc traced by a foot during a step and the ground (see attached). The arc comprises of a persons step height and step length and I need to find the angle of the arc it creates. No other research regarding this angle has manual calculated it.

I have contacted the researcher and he gave me the following formula:

Stride (step) angle tangent = 4*height / Step length
Therefore, the Stride (step) angle = tan-1(4*height/step length)”

However we are not sure why the height is multiplied by 4 ?

View attachment 9260

Thank you

Attachments

• BBCFCE55-FE06-4875-BFC7-9B0B1D8EBB01.jpeg
    BBCFCE55-FE06-4875-BFC7-9B0B1D8EBB01.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 68
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to MHB! (Wave)

If we let \(\ell\) be the stride length, and \(h\) be the max height, and orient our coordinate axes such that the "toe off" is at the origin, then we have:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=kx(x-\ell)\)

Now, we must have:

\(\displaystyle f\left(\frac{\ell}{2}\right)=h\)

\(\displaystyle k\left(\frac{\ell}{2}\right)\left(\frac{\ell}{2}-\ell\right)=h\implies k=-\frac{4h}{\ell^2}\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=-\frac{4h}{\ell^2}x(x-\ell)=-\frac{4h}{\ell^2}x^2+\frac{4h}{\ell}x\)

From this we find:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=-\frac{8h}{\ell^2}x+\frac{4h}{\ell}\)

And then:

\(\displaystyle f'(0)=\frac{4h}{\ell}\)

Thus, we may conclude:

\(\displaystyle \alpha=\arctan\left(\frac{4h}{\ell}\right)\)

1. What is a parable tangent?

A parable tangent is a line that touches a parabola at only one point. It is used to find the slope of the parabola at that particular point.

2. How is the angle of parable tangent related to human running step?

The angle of parable tangent is related to human running step because it helps to determine the slope of the ground at a specific point, which can affect the motion and stability of a runner's step.

3. Why is it important to find the angle of parable tangent from a human running step?

It is important to find the angle of parable tangent from a human running step because it can help in analyzing the efficiency and stability of a runner's stride. It can also provide valuable information for improving running technique and preventing injuries.

4. What factors can affect the angle of parable tangent from a human running step?

The angle of parable tangent from a human running step can be affected by various factors such as the slope of the ground, the speed and stride length of the runner, and the angle of the foot at the point of contact with the ground.

5. How can the angle of parable tangent be calculated from a human running step?

The angle of parable tangent can be calculated using the formula tanθ = 2h/l, where θ is the angle of parable tangent, h is the height difference between the highest and lowest points of the parabola, and l is the distance between these two points.