1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arc length of a regular parametrized curve

1. Aug 31, 2013 #1
    Given [tex]t\in I[/tex]the arc length of a regular parametrized curve [tex]\alpha : I \to \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] from the point [tex]t_0[/tex] is by definition [tex]s(t) = \int^t_{t_0}|\alpha'(t)|dt[/tex] where [tex]|\alpha'(t)| = \sqrt{(x'(t))^2+(y'(t))^2+(z'(t))^2}[/tex] is the length of the vector [tex]\alpha'(t).[/tex] Since [tex]\alpha'(t) \ne 0[/tex] the arc length [tex]s[/tex] is a differentiable function of and [tex]ds/dt = |\alpha'(t)|.[/tex]

This is where I get confused.

It can happen that the parameter [tex]t[/tex]is already the arc length measured from some point. In this case, [itex]ds/dt = 1 =|\alpha'(t)|[/tex]. Conversely, if [tex]|\alpha'(t)| = 1[/tex] then [tex]s = \int_{t_0}^t dt = t - t_0.[/tex]

How did they get that it equals 1? I am not sure what they are saying?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2013 #2
    Opps, I am in the wrong thread. How can I delete this?

4. Sep 1, 2013 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If t is arc length (that is: s = t), then ds/dt = 1. If this doesn't answer your question you need to elaborate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook