Arc length problem with a thorny integration

In summary, the problem is asking for the arc length of a particle traveling along the path \gamma(t)=[1,4] \to ℝ^3, t \mapsto (t^2/2, t, ln(2t)). The solution involves finding the speed differential and then using it to calculate the arc length. After trying various approaches, the hint is given to notice that t^2+ 1+ 1/t^2= (t+ 1/t)^2- 1, which may lead to a simpler solution.
aucuneidee

Homework Statement

So, the question gives a particle traveling over a path [itex]\gamma[/itex], and I need the arc length.

Homework Equations

The path is [itex]\gamma(t) : [1,4] \to ℝ^3, t \mapsto (t^2/2, t, ln(2t))[/itex].

We want the arc length over [itex]1 \le t \le 4[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

First, the speed differential: [itex] ds = \left\| \gamma'(t) \right\| dt = \sqrt{t^2 + 1 + 1 /t^2} dt [/itex]

Now, the arc length. [itex]\ell = \int_\gamma ds = \int_1^4 \sqrt{t^2 + 1 + 1 /t^2}dt[/itex].

But that's where the fun ends. I've tried a bunch of trig substitutions (e.g. [itex]t=\tan u[/itex]), to no avail.

I also tried Wolfram online integrator, which returned a mess of symbols -- this problem should have a (reasonably) simple analytic solution.

Any ideas, anyone? I'd really appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't you notice that [itex]t^2+ 1+ 1/t^2= t^2+ 2+ 1/t^2- 1= (t+ 1/t)^2- 1[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
Didn't you notice that [itex]t^2+ 1+ 1/t^2= t^2+ 2+ 1/t^2- 1= (t+ 1/t)^2- 1[/itex]?

I had, but didn't realize it would help. I'll play around and see what I can come up with. :)

Thankyou for the quick response!

1. What is the "arc length problem with a thorny integration"?

The arc length problem with a thorny integration is a mathematical problem that involves finding the length of a curve on a graph using integration. This problem is considered "thorny" because it can be challenging and time-consuming to solve.

2. Why is it called a "thorny" integration?

The term "thorny" is used to describe this integration problem because it requires advanced mathematical techniques and can be difficult to solve. It may also involve complex equations and multiple steps, making it a challenging task.

3. What are some common strategies for solving the arc length problem with a thorny integration?

Some common strategies for solving this problem include using substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to break the curve into smaller segments and use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of each segment.

4. Can this problem be solved without using integration?

No, the arc length problem with a thorny integration requires the use of integration to find an accurate solution. Other methods, such as estimation or approximation, may provide an estimate but will not give an exact answer.

5. What are some real-life applications of the arc length problem with a thorny integration?

This problem has various real-world applications, including calculating the length of a curved road or river, determining the amount of material needed to construct a curved structure, and finding the amount of fabric required to create a specific curved design in fashion or interior design.