Arc Length. Simplify expression

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the conversation is about finding the arc length of a function and the solution involves using the identity of the hyperbolic function cosh(x) to simplify the problem. The solution is then found by factoring and simplifying the expression.
rossmoesis

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find Arc Length of F(x) = (e^x + e^-x)/2

0< x < 2]

Homework Equations

L = integrate sqrt ( 1 + (dy/dx))^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(dy/dx)^2 + 1 = 1/4e^2x + 1/4e^-2x + 1/2]

I don't know how to take the square root of the above function so I can be able to take the integral of it to find the arc lengh.

The solution says ]

sqrt (1/4e^2x + 1/4e^-2x + 1/2) = 1/2 (e^-x + e^x)
I'm not sure how they did that. Once I find that out I can do the rest of the problem. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rossmoesis said:

Homework Statement

0< x < 2

Homework Equations

(dy/dx)^2 + 1 = 1/4e^2x + 1/4e^-2x + 1/2
I don't know how to take the square root of the above function so I can be able to take the integral of it to find the arc lengh.

The solution says
I'm not sure how they did that. Once I find that out I can do the rest of the problem. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Thanks

[tex]\frac{e^{2x}}{4} + \frac12 + \frac{e^{-2x}}{4} = \frac{e^{2x}}{4} + 2 \left(\frac{e^x}{2}\right)\left(\frac{e^{-x}}{2}\right) + \frac{e^{-2x}}{4}.[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
pasmith said:
[tex]\frac{e^{2x}}{4} + \frac12 + \frac{e^{-2x}}{4} = \frac{e^{2x}}{4} + 2 \left(\frac{e^x}{2}\right)\left(\frac{e^{-x}}{2}\right) + \frac{e^{-2x}}{4}.[/tex]

Thanks for the quick reply but I'm not able to follow your work.

I'm not sure how the above math is done. Thanks

rossmoesis said:

Homework Statement

0< x < 2

Homework Equations

(dy/dx)^2 + 1 = 1/4e^2x + 1/4e^-2x + 1/2

The solution says

You have ##y = \cosh(x)##. There are lots of very useful identities/properties of ##\cosh## (and its companion ##\sinh##), which reduce your problem to almost a triviality. See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function .

pasmith said:

rossmoesis said:
Thanks for the quick reply but I'm not able to follow your work.

Do you mean you don't understand how those two expressions are equal?

Thanks for the input. I figured out my issue.

LCKurtz said:
Do you mean you don't understand how those two expressions are equal?

Yes, it was obvious when you factor it out. It just took me a bit to realize that.

1. What is arc length and how is it calculated?

Arc length is a measure of the distance along the curved line of a circle or other curved shape. It is calculated by multiplying the angle formed by the arc and the radius of the circle.

2. What is the formula for finding arc length?

The formula for finding arc length is arc length = (angle in radians) x (radius of the circle). This is also known as the arc length formula.

3. Can you provide an example of simplifying an expression for arc length?

For example, if we have an arc with a central angle of 60 degrees and a radius of 10 centimeters, the arc length would be (60 degrees/180 degrees) x (pi x 10 centimeters) = 1/3 x pi x 10 centimeters = 10.47 centimeters.

4. What are the units for arc length?

The units for arc length depend on the units used for the radius of the circle. If the radius is in meters, then the arc length will be in meters. If the radius is in feet, then the arc length will be in feet.

5. Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative as it is a measure of distance and distance cannot be negative. The value for arc length will always be a positive number or zero.