Are Cell Phones Harmful to Your Health?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saber
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cell Cell phones
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 20K views
Evo said:
GSM isn't widely used in the US, CDMA is the most common.

I not not up to speed on the CDMA standard, but I think I will presume that at layer 1 it converges on GSM methodology. Perhaps the time framing standards are different, and the way it multiplexes time slots together. So the effect on humans will be much a muchness even if the way it is implemented is slightly different.

http://www.protocols.com/pbook/cellular.htm

Globally we know GSM is implemented more than CDMA
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-gsm-and-cdma.htm
According CDG.org, CDMA networks support over 270 million subscribers worldwide, while GSM.org tallies up their score at over 1 billion. As CDMA phones become R-UIM enabled and roaming contracts between networks improve, integration of the standards might eventually make differences all but transparent to the consumer.

http://www.cdg.org/worldwide/index.asp

Although this is not really going to effect this debate, as the underling technology is more or less the same, I would still be interested where you got that information from? I know CDMA is used in the USA, but I thought the sim cards where dual GSM CDMA. however more network's where actually using the GSM standard, since it has been around for longer.. I could be wrong so feel free...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Anttech said:
I know CDMA is used in the USA, but I thought the sim cards where dual GSM CDMA. however more network's where actually using the GSM standard, since it has been around for longer.. I could be wrong so feel free...
No, I believe that CDMA is unique to the US. As is IDEN. Europe was always way ahead of us in cellular technology with GSM.

We don't have SIM cards in the US. It's really sad. If you buy a Phone on "network A", you can't use the phone on "Network B" by simply switching out the SIM card, you have to buy a whole new phone.
 
Evo said:
No, I believe that CDMA is unique to the US. As is IDEN. Europe was always way ahead of us in cellular technology with GSM.

We don't have SIM cards in the US. It's really sad. If you buy a Phone on "network A", you can't use the phone on "Network B" by simply switching out the SIM card, you have to buy a whole new phone.

Wow, the EU commission wouldn't like that. They are fighting all the time at decoupling the handset from the provider, to increase market competition.
 
Saber said:
Is it true that cell phones can be harmful to a person's health?

Absolutely. You could be cheerfully talking on the phone one minute, carrying on a spirited conversation about nothing of consequence, and the next minute someone at the next table in the restaurant gets up and beats the @#$% out of you.
 
We don't have SIM cards in the US. It's really sad.
BTW interestingly enough, I was speaking to a relation of mine whom lives in LA and he just bought the new blackberry pearl handset, and he has a SIM card. The phone will jump from gsm cdma, probably when roaming i guess.
 
Last edited: