Are excuses for academic parties getting thinner or is it just me?

• Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
sbrothy
Gold Member
(arXiv, physics.ed-ph): Why every observatory needs a disco ball

"We tried on a number of occasions to observe different phases of the Moon using disco balls. We were successful with the full moon on 2022 December 7 [...]"

"During the period March-May 2023 we tested a portable disco ball as part of a permanent exhibition at a university observatory, receiving visitors in groups of all ages. [...]"

I mean: just send out invites like normal people darn it! :P

(Sorry for the thin joke. If nothing else the paper gets a little publicity. Whether that's merited I'll leave to you to decide.)

EDIT: Oh, this should of course have gone in the "Lame Jokes" thread. Feel free to move it. My bad.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean when people say excuses for academic parties are getting thinner?

This phrase typically means that the justifications or reasons given for hosting or attending academic parties seem less substantial or less convincing than they might have been in the past. It suggests a perception that these excuses are not as robust or valid as they once were.

2. Are there any common reasons why excuses might seem less substantial now?

There could be several reasons for this perception. Increased academic pressure, greater awareness of professional boundaries, and a more critical view of social events in academic settings might make traditional excuses seem less acceptable. Additionally, the impact of social media and the desire to maintain a certain professional image could also make people more cautious about the reasons they give for attending such events.

3. How does this perception impact the academic community?

If people believe that excuses for attending academic parties are becoming thinner, it might lead to a decrease in attendance at these events, potentially reducing networking opportunities and social cohesion among academics. It could also lead to a more serious, less collegial atmosphere within academic environments if social interactions are viewed with skepticism.

4. Is there any evidence to support the idea that excuses are indeed getting thinner?

Concrete evidence on changes in the nature of excuses over time can be hard to come by, as it largely depends on personal perceptions and anecdotal reports. Surveys or studies focusing on attitudes towards academic social events could provide some insights, but such data might be limited.

5. What can be done if someone feels the excuses are getting thinner?

If someone is concerned about the quality of excuses for academic parties, they could advocate for more transparent and meaningful engagement in academic settings. Encouraging open discussions about the value and purpose of these gatherings might help in establishing clearer and more substantial reasons for their continuance, thereby enhancing their acceptance and effectiveness.

Back