Mentor
- 50,910
- 26,934
What book?cmb said:I have a chapter from an electronic book
What book?cmb said:I have a chapter from an electronic book
My concern is not the cross sections or equations but the basis for terms like "electromagnetic nuclear interactions", which to me seems like an oxymoron. Any nuclear reaction is going to involve the strong interaction, and given the respective interaction strengths I would expect the strong interaction to dominate the energy change involved. It's been a long time since I studied nuclear physics in college, but I don't recall any classification of nuclear reactions as "mediated by the electromagnetic interaction" or "mediated by the weak interaction" (except for the case of radioactive beta decay, which was typically described as a conversion of one type of quark to another mediated by the weak interaction).cmb said:This is discussing the astrophysical factor (the value that goes into an equation to describe fusion cross-sections) of different fusion reactions.
"from a degree course but the attribution isn't on the document", I just said I don't know and I will go looking.PeterDonis said:What book?
Well, if in the course of a few decades I have fallen into an imprecise and poorly remembered definition of classifications which has diverged from what is accepted now, I stand guilty of a gross misdemeanour and apologise. But give me a chance to find the texts first before passing sentence.PeterDonis said:My concern is not the cross sections or equations but the basis for terms like "electromagnetic nuclear interactions", which to me seems like an oxymoron. Any nuclear reaction is going to involve the strong interaction, and given the respective interaction strengths I would expect the strong interaction to dominate the energy change involved. It's been a long time since I studied nuclear physics in college, but I don't recall any classification of nuclear reactions as "mediated by the electromagnetic interaction" or "mediated by the weak interaction" (except for the case of radioactive beta decay, which was typically described as a conversion of one type of quark to another mediated by the weak interaction).
As far as what's left after the reaction and where the kinetic energy ends up, I have no problem with that. But I don't see how any of this maps to terms like "mediated by the electromagnetic interaction" or "mediated by the weak interaction". If those terms are supposed to refer to your B(i) and B(ii), then they don't seem to me to be describing what "mediates" the reaction, but just what carries away the kinetic energy.cmb said:it's frankly flat-out plainly obvious there are 3 distinct types of fusion reaction, independent of any 'book'. It doesn't need someone to actually put their name to it, the physics is obvious;
A) fusion where stuff ends up as kinetically energetic nuclear parts only
B) fusion where only one nuclear part remains and has no energy, but
(i) releases the excess energy as photons, and/or
(ii) releases the excess energy as electrons or positrons, and nutrinos.
I'm not very current in terminology or classification of nuclear reactions, so I don't know what is accepted now. As I have remarked, I don't recall being taught the classification you're describing when I studied nuclear physics in college (which was in the mid 1980s).cmb said:if in the course of a few decades I have fallen into an imprecise and poorly remembered definition of classifications which has diverged from what is accepted now
As said, if my descriptions of those three forms of reactions is at odds with someone else's then they can have a problem with it if they really want to make it a problem. But the physics stands so I don't see really what the issue is.PeterDonis said:As far as what's left after the reaction and where the kinetic energy ends up, I have no problem with that. But I don't see how any of this maps to terms like "mediated by the electromagnetic interaction" or "mediated by the weak interaction". If those terms are supposed to refer to your B(i) and B(ii), then they don't seem to me to be describing what "mediates" the reaction, but just what carries away the kinetic energy.
The issue before you described the physics in post #93 was that I had no idea what physics the terms you were using referred to. As I said in my response in post #95, I'm not sure the terms "mediated by the electromagnetic interaction" and "mediated by the weak interaction" are very good terms, but the physics you described in post #93 is clear and, as I said in post #95, I have no problem with it.cmb said:the physics stands so I don't see really what the issue is.
That's fine, we can figure out any lack of clarity on terminology no problem, but we understand it's not a pet theory just because I use a different/the wrong terms, right?PeterDonis said:The issue before you described the physics in post #93 was that I had no idea what physics the terms you were using referred to.
I think you might be right that indeed in DT fusion for example the free neutron isn't produced before the reaction of D+T is finished and the nucleus of He 5 is assembled which then decays to He 4 + a free neutron.cmb said:In answer to your question about a reference for the fission of an intermediate helium 5 from DT fusion, well, if you don't get helium 5 from the 'fusion' of DT, then what does 'fusion' mean? I believe the common view is simply that there is a helium 5 that forms and spontaneously fissions
The least stable is 5 He, with a half-life of 7.6×10−22 s, although it is possible that 2 He
has an even shorter half-life.
For sure there are a multitude of fusion reactions that are endothermic, in fact probably most of all 'possible' fusion reactions are endothermic.artis said:I think you might be right that indeed in DT fusion for example the free neutron isn't produced before the reaction of D+T is finished and the nucleus of He 5 is assembled which then decays to He 4 + a free neutron.
Wikipedia says the lifetime of He 5 is
I think the extremely short half life of 5 He is what makes people just disregard it as an intermediary step and write the reaction in it's simple form.
Hopefully @Astronuc or anyone else for that matter can correct this question here , but I do think that not all fusion reaction that are below Fe56 release energy (EM or particle KE)
I do think that for BNCT they use Beryllium as the target due to Beryllium being more chemically stable and safer to work with than Lithium, which among other things burns in contact with water a far as I'm aware.cmb said:One which is regularly used is the proton lithium (p,n) reaction which consumes 1.8MeV (or so, I am recalling from memory) and produces a neutron. This endothermic fusion is being used for neutron therapeutics as the neutron source for neutron boron capture therapy
There are different means to create the neutrons for BNCT. Here is a company doing (p,n);artis said:I do think that for BNCT they use Beryllium as the target due to Beryllium being more chemically stable and safer to work with than Lithium, which among other things burns in contact with water a far as I'm aware.
9Be is used as a target for gamma rays that induce a photon,neutron reaction, since the energy threshold is about the lowest. Be is highly toxic to life forms, so has to used with care. The photoneutron threshold for 6Li and 7Li is considerably greater.artis said:I do think that for BNCT they use Beryllium as the target due to Beryllium being more chemically stable and safer to work with than Lithium, which among other things burns in contact with water a far as I'm aware.
Well, yes, that is a reaction of interest for producing neutrons.cmb said:There are different means to create the neutrons for BNCT. Here is a company doing (p,n);
http://www.neutrontherapeutics.com/technology/
Not for that reason, no.cmb said:we understand it's not a pet theory just because I use a different/the wrong terms, right?
Yes.cmb said:Within a nucleus there are still electromagnetic and weak forces
But the fusion reaction doesn't just involve the resultant particles. Fusion means nucleons are being rearranged, which means the strong force is involved. That will be true regardless of what non-nucleon resultant particles there are.cmb said:the nature of the fusion result is 'mediated' according to which force within the nucleus does the work on the resultant particles.
The physics doesn't depend on the limitations of our terminology. The fact that we happen to classify the reaction D + T -> He4 + n as "fusion" does not mean that the physics has to be D + T -> He5 -> He4 + n in order to match our terminology. As far as I know (I could be mistaken) there is no experimental evidence that He5 is produced during this reaction; the only experimental evidence we have is that D + T goes in and He4 + n comes out. So I don't see any good basis for claiming that He5 must be produced. Certainly the word "fusion" is not such a basis.cmb said:if you don't get helium 5 from the 'fusion' of DT, then what does 'fusion' mean?
Is the D+T fusion reaction the one that is actually used to produce He5 experimentally and measure its half-life? That reaction is not mentioned in the reference you gave, unless I missed it.Astronuc said:Similarly for 5He in d+t fusion
Including in this one .The least stable is 5He, with a half-life of 7.6×10−22 seconds, although it is possible that 2He has
an even shorter half-life.
I don't know, and I cannot readily find any papers/articles on such an experiment. I'm not sure how one measures a phenomenon lasting 10-22 s. Even traveling at the speed of light, it wouldn't go very far before disintegrating, so I don't see a time of flight experiment.PeterDonis said:s the D+T fusion reaction the one that is actually used to produce He5 experimentally and measure its half-life? That reaction is not mentioned in the reference you gave, unless I missed it.
Absolutely totally. There is no question whatsoever.artis said:All in all @cmb I think we can just say that in fusion the strong force is what fuses the new daughter nucleus from the parent ones
That would really depend on whether an intermediate product nucleus is formed during the process, i.e. whether the strong nuclear force does work on a product nucleus and form an excited product that then releases a neutron.Alex A said:No reasonable person would call (p,n) fusion.
From K. H. Beckurts, K. Wirtz, Neutron Sources, in Neutron Physics,cmb said:If the proton simply knocks off a neutron kinematically, I would agree.
[edit .. I am just looking for an exothermic example, maybe there isn't one]
* Many neutron-producing reactions proceed directly, i.e., without the formation of a compound nucleus. One important example of such a reaction is deuteron stripping.There is a variety of reactions which lead to neutron production. In such reactions compound nuclei excited* with the sum of the binding energy and the kinetic energy (in the center-of-mass system) of the projectiles first are formed by bombardment of target nuclei with α-particles, protons, deuterons, or γ-rays. If the excitation energy is larger than the binding energy of the "last neutron" in the compound nucleus, then a neutron is very likely to be emitted. The remaining ex-citation energy is distributed as kinetic energy between the neutron and the residual nucleus. The residual nucleus can remain excited and later return to the ground state by γ-emission.
Thanks for the links I am working through those.Astronuc said:From K. H. Beckurts, K. Wirtz, Neutron Sources, in Neutron Physics,
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-87614-1_2
* Many neutron-producing reactions proceed directly, i.e., without the formation of a compound nucleus. One important example of such a reaction is deuteron stripping.
See the statement by Beckurts and Wirtz, "All (p,n) reactions on stable nuclei are thus endothermic, . . . ."
The text is from 1964, and perhaps perspectives have changed on what constitutes a compound nucleus (i.e., half-life threshold).
A consideration from 1956 on "The formation of the compound nucleus."
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0031891456900520More recently, http://websites.umich.edu/~ners311/CourseLibrary/bookchapter17.pdf
In the table of nuclear reactions, compound reactions a + X -> Ym -> fragments, where t1/2 >> 10-23 s. Not sure where >> gets one.
In the same table, is a transfer reaction and resonance reaction. Perhaps the way to discern is the angular distribution of reactants, i.e., more forward directed of the proton in (n,p) or neutron in (p,n) would indicate a lack of a compound nucleus.
I've made a post here for your further consideration;Alex A said:No reasonable person would call (p,n) fusion.
And with that, this thread is closed.cmb said:I've made a post here for your further consideration;
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/are-there-any-p-n-fusion-reactions.1006603/