Are men wired differently than women?

• Thread starter Gabrielle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between men and women and their skills in domestic chores and handyman work. The speaker shares a story about her father's talent for repurposing items and organizing tools, particularly screwdrivers. The conversation then delves into societal expectations and conditioning for men and women in terms of household duties and retirement. There is also a mention of brain structure differences between men and women, but the focus is on individual interests and abilities, rather than gender.
That would make a perfect gift for a feminist!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
Would've been nicer if she'd called it a 'box'...

<MIH : You have no idea what it's taking to resist saying oh so many things>
I don't get it. :confused:

Gokul43201 said:
Would've been nicer if she'd called it a 'box'...

True, true... It's still euphemismable.

Is euphamismable a word? I think it should be.

sounds like it should be.

Oh, I get it. And for some reason it doesn't upset you that people have rows of tools hanging from their walls. :confused:

honestrosewater said:
Oh, I get it. And for some reason it doesn't upset you that people have rows of tools hanging from their walls. :confused:
Why would it...if you've got rows of holes to stick 'em in ?

And if not, you can always find a nice pink box...

Last edited:
Andy said:
That would make a perfect gift for a feminist!
Oh, yes, I'm sure she'd relish beating the gift giver with the hammer before using the scissors to cut off...:uhh: Nevermind.

Have you seen the hammers that have poofy pink fluffy stuff on them? They're all frilly and feathery. It's scary. If you're going to use a hammer that wimpy, you might as well go back to using the heel of your pumps (you can probably get a better grip on the pumps...the fluffy stuff looks like it's likely to slip out of your hand and fly across the room if you tried using it). I've seen those tool kits in stores (around Christmastime they put them out). The hammer in it is way too light to do much good. It would take all day to hammer a nail with that. Probably cheap screwdrivers too. Next worse thing to stripping the head of your screw is stripping the tip of the screwdriver.

The best investment I ever made was into a set of allen wrenches. I always lose the individual loose ones that come with assemble-yourself furniture, and then end up needing to fix them (or I keep the extra screws to use for other purposes).

I recently got a set of bits for my electric drill/screwdriver that includes all sorts of nifty things...square bits and star bits...now I need screws to go with them! :biggrin: Anyone need anything built?

Moonbear said:
Anyone need anything built?
A gallows. I want to see that Gokul is hung. :approve:

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Is it just my imagination, or does a Phillips screwdriver fit more sizes of Phillips screws than a flat head screwdriver fits slot-headed screws?
Correct, except when it isn't a slot, more like a slit. (Slot with two open ends.) Here's a crude diagram: (||)

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
hoo boy! :redface: :biggrin: :redface: Now I'm the one having trouble restraining from commenting. :redface: :biggrin: :redface:

I am looking for a mate for one of my employees, anyone knows of any grrrr out there, please tel me , he isn't very good-looking, and pretty short but since he has worked for me for years, I know he is very hard-working :wink:. Hard and work really hard too :wink:. He is responsible and I am sure he can "wire" you tighter than could anyone you might have experienced.
He is now 33 years old, that is one of my men.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Continued~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think they are wired differently, some times their logic circuits are
a bit scrambled though, they think shopping is pleasant? and having toxic
stuff in their hair is nice, jeez how can they tolerate perms :yuck: the
smell nearly knocks me out, oh and £25 for a nail job :confused: how can
they do the house work with £12.50 on each hand. :rofl:

Who cares how they're wired, as long as the plumbing and insulation are different?
Rosie, the only proper type of screwdriver is the Robertson. Sounds as if Moonbear has a couple of those in her kit. They're square, and almost unstrippable. I've had 3" #6 Robertson screws twist in half with my 1/2" Makita drill driving them, and the heads were still fine.

honestrosewater said:
I want to see that Gokul is hung. :approve:
Wash your mouth out.

(no, I'm not going to say it, but I want to)

honestrosewater said:

Math Is Hard said:
hoo boy! :redface: :biggrin: :redface: Now I'm the one having trouble restraining from commenting. :redface: :biggrin: :redface:

Ah, when you put it that way, it seems like a very worthwhile endeavor!

wolram said:
I do not think they are wired differently, some times their logic circuits are
a bit scrambled though, they think shopping is pleasant? and having toxic
stuff in their hair is nice, jeez how can they tolerate perms :yuck: the
smell nearly knocks me out, oh and £25 for a nail job :confused: how can
they do the house work with £12.50 on each hand. :rofl:

Don't look at me, I don't understand it either. My sister used to do the home perm thing when we were teenagers. :yuck: I couldn't stand to be indoors while she was doing that...my dad and I headed out to the garage where the air was much fresher. And worse than the cost of getting nails done is the TIME! I was tortured by one friend who thought all the bridesmaids in her wedding should have manicures and pedicures done the day before it. :cry: I was soooooooo bored! You can't even read a book because you can't touch anything, and all the other women in the place just want to talk about things like manicures and pedicures and what color nailpolish to wear and who does their hair and...:cry: :cry: :cry: It was painful. And then I ruined the manicure as soon as we got back to her house anyway. Her darling husband had attempted to wash the dishes and put regular dish detergent in the dishwasher, so we arrived home to a VERY flooded kitchen full of suds! It looked like something out of a cartoon. So I grabbed the mop and bucket and started swabbing the deck.

Oh, then the next morning she tortured us by dragging us all off to some hairdressers. :cry: Having someone wash my hair and massage my head was nice, but that only lasted about 5 min...then they do awful things to you like bake your head in some oven-like device, and then tug and pull your hair, and get dangerously close to your forehead with what must be branding irons, and then they rub sticky goop in your hair (why bother having it washed if you're just going to make it sticky), and then gas you with these toxic chemicals sprayed all around your head. :yuck: :cry: She better stay married, because I'm not going through that again for her. Before that, the last time I went to a hairdresser, I think I was 13 or 14 and thought I wanted a new haircut until I got it and hated it and refused to ever go to a hairdresser ever again. They're evil, sadistic people.

I will, promise, stop from now.

Moonbear said:
And worse than the cost of getting nails done is the TIME! I was tortured by one friend who thought all the bridesmaids in her wedding should have manicures and pedicures done the day before it. :cry: I was soooooooo bored! You can't even read a book because you can't touch anything, and all the other women in the place just want to talk about things like manicures and pedicures and what color nailpolish to wear and who does their hair and...:cry: :cry: :cry: It was painful.
STOP! Even hearing it described is painful. :bugeye: I have never had my nails done. I hate those shovel shapes they do on nails, they're not only UGLY they're SCARY! Why on Earth do women pay to get such ugly nails? The first thing I think when I see a woman with those nails is "what a dumba$$".

Moonbear said:
Ah, when you put it that way, it seems like a very worthwhile endeavor!

Don't look at me, I don't understand it either. My sister used to do the home perm thing when we were teenagers. :yuck: I couldn't stand to be indoors while she was doing that...my dad and I headed out to the garage where the air was much fresher. And worse than the cost of getting nails done is the TIME! I was tortured by one friend who thought all the bridesmaids in her wedding should have manicures and pedicures done the day before it. :cry: I was soooooooo bored! You can't even read a book because you can't touch anything, and all the other women in the place just want to talk about things like manicures and pedicures and what color nailpolish to wear and who does their hair and...:cry: :cry: :cry: It was painful. And then I ruined the manicure as soon as we got back to her house anyway. Her darling husband had attempted to wash the dishes and put regular dish detergent in the dishwasher, so we arrived home to a VERY flooded kitchen full of suds! It looked like something out of a cartoon. So I grabbed the mop and bucket and started swabbing the deck.

Oh, then the next morning she tortured us by dragging us all off to some hairdressers. :cry: Having someone wash my hair and massage my head was nice, but that only lasted about 5 min...then they do awful things to you like bake your head in some oven-like device, and then tug and pull your hair, and get dangerously close to your forehead with what must be branding irons, and then they rub sticky goop in your hair (why bother having it washed if you're just going to make it sticky), and then gas you with these toxic chemicals sprayed all around your head. :yuck: :cry: She better stay married, because I'm not going through that again for her. Before that, the last time I went to a hairdresser, I think I was 13 or 14 and thought I wanted a new haircut until I got it and hated it and refused to ever go to a hairdresser ever again. They're evil, sadistic people.

Do i detect an exceptional woman or a tom boy either way its cool :biggrin:

But you always sound gentle to me.

Evo said:
STOP! Even hearing it described is painful. :bugeye: I have never had my nails done. I hate those shovel shapes they do on nails, they're not only UGLY they're SCARY! Why on Earth do women pay to get such ugly nails? The first thing I think when I see a woman with those nails is "what a dumba$$".

Sisters and both tom boys ? wow

Evo said:
I think they suck your brains out through your fingertips with those cuticle things.

wolram said:
Do i detect an exceptional woman or a tom boy either way its cool :biggrin:
I choose the first one. :biggrin:

Woops, I meant hanged, of course. o:)

Danger said:
Rosie, the only proper type of screwdriver is the Robertson. Sounds as if Moonbear has a couple of those in her kit. They're square, and almost unstrippable. I've had 3" #6 Robertson screws twist in half with my 1/2" Makita drill driving them, and the heads were still fine.
I was just wondering why people would put up with needing so many screwdrivers. Of the screw heads here, the spanner looks like the most adaptable. Imagine this driver: two (or however many - 3, 4?) prongs that are a series of several, um, retractable sub-prongs, smaller ones inside of larger ones - like this. You have prongs of all different radii in one tool and just collapse the sub-prongs not in use (they are held in place by some device).
The distances between the holes in the screw heads are also going to vary, so the prongs also adjust to match... somehow. I don't know - I'm just thinking of this. How does it sound? One screwdriver fits many, many screws. What's wrong with it?
Okay, if you're using a power tool, it's hard to disengage, so you just need better power tools that will stall before the prongs break. :biggrin:
On the bright side, they're hard to disengage - no slipping out.
I think the stripping problem is also solved?

Last edited:
You need different screwdrivers not just for the size of the tip, but the length of the shaft. Sometimes you're working in small spaces and a short shaft works best, and sometimes you have lots of room, so can go with a longer shaft, or to get a little more torque, there are L- or T-shaped handles on them. The heads of the screws are different sizes too, depending on what you need to fasten and the width of the screw itself. Size does matter with screwdrivers! :eek:

You can buy a power tool that has a clutch in it (I think that's the right term) so that you don't drive a screw too far and strip it (it disengages just like you suggested).

Moonbear said:
You need different screwdrivers not just for the size of the tip, but the length of the shaft. Sometimes you're working in small spaces and a short shaft works best, and sometimes you have lots of room, so can go with a longer shaft, or to get a little more torque, there are L- or T-shaped handles on them.
Right, I think that's partially covered. The shaft can adjust to different lengths by collapsing or extending the other subprongs. The device that locks the subprongs in place while in use can add extra strength or maybe even bear most of the load. I imagine this could be a cylinder running along the inside of the shaft (the subprongs themselves are hollow, as they need to fit inside of each other). For simplicity, take a three-subprong driver. Label the subprongs by increasing radius x, y, z, with z retracting into the handle. Say you're using y. x is retracted into y. To shorten the shaft, retract z into the handle and lock; to lengthen, pull z out of the handle and lock.
That doesn't make much of a difference, but you would normally have more than three subprongs (I imagine). And you could always add an extension to the handle, I suppose. I don't mean for this to cover every possible case, just many more cases than the other screwdrivers.
The heads of the screws are different sizes too, depending on what you need to fasten and the width of the screw itself.
Yeah, the prongs adjust relative to each other, moving closer together or further apart, though I don't know how yet. If you only have two prongs, they could just slide along a holder perpendicular to the shaft. Or maybe the holder moves, whatever.
You can buy a power tool that has a clutch in it (I think that's the right term) so that you don't drive a screw too far and strip it (it disengages just like you suggested).
Cool. Edit: Oh, just to be sure, I mean the motor would just 'cut off' when it enountered a certain amount of resistance, which you could specify ahead of time.

So can you picture what I'm talking about? I don't have the right vocab to describe it. I'm trying to think of something similar...

Last edited:
It sounds like it might work for something like an allen wrench or the robertson style. I don't think you could get something like a phillips head or flat head to work with the telescoping dealie. But, but, but, that would take all the fun away of displaying your screwdriver collection if it was just one bit that collapsed inside itself. :frown: But, I'd probably buy it to add to my collection as a nifty gadget. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
It sounds like it might work for something like an allen wrench or the robertson style. I don't think you could get something like a phillips head or flat head to work with the telescoping dealie.
Yeah, it's only meant to work for the spanner head; it's (i), the bottom right one here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Screw_drive_types.png
But it could have more prongs/holes (3 or 4 seem better?).
It is sounding more complicated than I'd like, but that's possibly because I haven't thought it through or combined parts that could be combined. Meh, it's just an idea.
But, but, but, that would take all the fun away of displaying your screwdriver collection if it was just one bit that collapsed inside itself. :frown: But, I'd probably buy it to add to my collection as a nifty gadget. :biggrin:
With my luck, if it's a good idea, it already exists. So if it doesn't exist... :frown: And since you don't have one yet...

Oh, I see. Now I know what you're talking about with prongs/holes. I think the hard part would be keeping it locked when extended so it didn't collapse on you as soon as you put some force on the screwdriver...that and keeping from turning your screwdriver into a corkscrew!

I've never seen anything like anything in that bottom row. Those are some nifty looking screw heads!

I rather prefer the ones that are both phillips and flat...it's the phillips head, but with one of the crosses extended all the way to the end of the screw head, so if you strip it with a phillips screwdriver, you can still remove it with a flat head screwdriver.

Moonbear said:
I rather prefer the ones that are both phillips and flat...it's the phillips head, but with one of the crosses extended all the way to the end of the screw head, so if you strip it with a phillips screwdriver, you can still remove it with a flat head screwdriver.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about those. That was a good idea.

Moonbear said:
Oh, I see. Now I know what you're talking about with prongs/holes. I think the hard part would be keeping it locked when extended so it didn't collapse on you as soon as you put some force on the screwdriver...that and keeping from turning your screwdriver into a corkscrew!
Oops, deleted this part. On the shortest setting, the shaft is only as long as the subprong that is in use. The others are tucked away; the smaller ones are inside of the subprong in use; the larger ones are inside of the handle. Er, is it clear what I mean the subprongs to be?

Here are two prongs and six subprongs:

____ ___ __ A

____ ___ __ B
--C-_-D---E

A and B are prongs; C, D, and E are subprongs. The subprongs retract.

honestrosewater said:
Oops, deleted this part. On the shortest setting, the shaft is only as long as the subprong that is in use. The others are tucked away; the smaller ones are inside of the subprong in use; the larger ones are inside of the handle. Er, is it clear what I mean the subprongs to be?

Here are two prongs and six subprongs:

____ ___ __ A

____ ___ __ B
--C-_-D---E

A and B are prongs; C, D, and E are subprongs. The subprongs retract.

Okay, I'm getting the picture. Still not sure how you'd keep the one in use extended (or locked) if they can retract into the handle, but the general concept is materializing and making sense. Maybe a slot down the side so you can turn the extended one so the slot doesn't line up with the slot in the handle and can't slip in? If you're only proposing it for that one design, it could work (for any of the others, rotating the subprongs would defeat the purpose of a screwdriver).

Yeah, sorry, the explanations aren't the clearest, and I don't know how they would lock. I may think more about it later. If I find a good design, I'll just sketch a diagram or something. I should probably go see what the drivers for a spanner screw look like. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
I should probably go see what the drivers for a spanner screw look like. :rolleyes:
Okay... now I know what you're talking about (just checked the links). Forget the spanner. I've encountered them in the past, but didn't know what they were called. They're for very low-torque applications where you just hope that somebody else doesn't have a driver to undo it. If you try to get any reasonable tightness out of those things, the prongs snap off of the driver. Those, Torx, and shear-bolts, as far as I know, were all invented by the automotive industry in order to keep people from performing even simple tasks like headlight replacement by themselves because the tools weren't originally available to the public. It caused me a bit of irritation as a locksmith, except that we figured out different methods of removing them and then replaced them with conventional hardware.

Last edited:
Whatever you say, daddy-o. I don't know what's wrong with me - I just want to know that there's a solution to this 57 screwdriver problem. The retractable heads thing could work for the Robertson too. Same idea. The smaller heads retract into the larger heads. http://www.wle.com/wholesale/media/W289-290.jpg.

Oooouuu, that page reminds me of jackey's movies.

By the way, can you or anyone tell me why there are some pages I can see something lilke http://www.wle.com/wholesale/media/ ---all of image database but in some other cases i am forbidden to have a look at ? What do the owners turn on or off anyway ?
Thanks

honestrosewater said:
Whatever you say, daddy-o.
I like the sound of that. :tongue2:
One thing that I can't figure out about your idea is how to get any strength out of the tips. If they're hollow for nesting other ones inside, your wall thickness must be minute. :confused: