Are men wired differently than women?

• Thread starter Gabrielle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between men and women and their skills in domestic chores and handyman work. The speaker shares a story about her father's talent for repurposing items and organizing tools, particularly screwdrivers. The conversation then delves into societal expectations and conditioning for men and women in terms of household duties and retirement. There is also a mention of brain structure differences between men and women, but the focus is on individual interests and abilities, rather than gender.
Danger said:
Okay... now I know what you're talking about (just checked the links). Forget the spanner.
Heh, yeah, before she posted the link with the pictures, I thought she was talking about crescent wrenches since that's what the Brits call them. I was thinking maybe she had some idea for a new type of socket wrench or something. Pictures really help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Pictures really help.
That they do. The only places that I've run across those things is in things like towel dispensers in public washrooms or service panels in jukeboxes or whatnot. If you ever need to remove/replace one, snap-ring pliers will work for really loose ones. A bit tighter is easy with a couple of nails clamped into the jaws of a Vise-Grip.

Let's see...these are the stereotypical male characteristics I posses :smile: :
1. I am messy.
2. I am always on the computer.
3. I am a physics and computer and aerospace geek.
4. I don't care much about how I look (i go to classes wearing slippers and sleep in the same clothes for example)

And now some not-so-male traits I have...
1. I have no interest in sports (except perhaps the football [soccer for all you americans] world cup [i think its called FIFA?] and the cricket world cup)
2. I have never been in a sports team, ever...
3. I have no interest in cars whatsoever (im 18 and i don't even know how to drive yet)
4. I have no problem cooking my own food, making my own bed, washing my own clothes and doing the dishes...(i have to since i live in a dorm)

But then I also know some girls with boyish characteristics...
like my cousin's friend...she's crazy about fighter jets
and my lil sis, well...having 5 bros (im the eldest sibling) and no sisters she is a bit tomboyish :tongue:
she's quiet shy about wearing good looking clothes and is always telling me how the girls in her class are doing "those girl things which i can't stand" (basically gossip and boyfriend talk :wink: ) but she does manage to roll her eyes, cat fight (she is one helluva fighter btw...), and say stuff like "i hate you" just like any other girl. then there is other thing...a lot of girls somehow think they are entitled to "protection" no matter what they do. so if my sis gets in a fight with me, and i get really mad at her, i hit her back lightly, and she's like "ooooh you hit a girl!" :devil:

cefarix said:
Let's see...these are the stereotypical male characteristics I posses :smile: :
1. I am messy.
2. I am always on the computer.
3. I am a physics and computer and aerospace geek.
4. I don't care much about how I look (i go to classes wearing slippers and sleep in the same clothes for example)

And now some not-so-male traits I have...
1. I have no interest in sports (except perhaps the football [soccer for all you americans] world cup [i think its called FIFA?] and the cricket world cup)
2. I have never been in a sports team, ever...
3. I have no interest in cars whatsoever (im 18 and i don't even know how to drive yet)
4. I have no problem cooking my own food, making my own bed, washing my own clothes and doing the dishes...(i have to since i live in a dorm)

I think all that stuff makes you a stereotypical geek. :tongue: :biggrin:

Danger said:
I like the sound of that. :tongue2:
One thing that I can't figure out about your idea is how to get any strength out of the tips. If they're hollow for nesting other ones inside, your wall thickness must be minute. :confused:
Yes, it's so sad. Whatever, keep your 57 screwdrivers. I give up. I give up on everything! :cry:

Maybe we should bring in Tim Taylor from Home Improvement.

Moonbear said:
I think all that stuff makes you a stereotypical geek. :tongue: :biggrin:

isnt being a geek a male characteristic? :biggrin:

honestrosewater said:
Yes, it's so sad. Whatever, keep your 57 screwdrivers. I give up. I give up on everything! :cry:
There, there, sweetie; don't get yourself in a state. There are a couple of brands on the market that work somewhat like the one you proposed. They store the bits the way a revolver stores cartridges, and you just slide the one that you want into position.
(And I don't actually have more than a dozen or so, but a few of them are magnetic ones that take one of 50 or so bits that I keep on hand.)

Danger said:
There, there, sweetie; don't get yourself in a state. There are a couple of brands on the market that work somewhat like the one you proposed. They store the bits the way a revolver stores cartridges, and you just slide the one that you want into position.
(And I don't actually have more than a dozen or so, but a few of them are magnetic ones that take one of 50 or so bits that I keep on hand.)
Thanks, I'm okay now. Maybe it's better this way. The more moving parts, the more ways it can break. If used properly, a regular screwdriver would probably last longer than a fancy one. So you don't need as many of them after all. I just wasn't considering all of the generations of users. :biggrin: