Are physicists religious?

• Thread starter DMuitW
  • Start date
There would be a higher percentage of atheists among scientists than among the general population since scientific fields select for both high IQ and some rationality. But the religion brain module is very strong, so even a significant amount of scientists with their high IQ and some rationality cannot override the their religious inclinations. A recent survey showed that most American physicians believe in a deity.

EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Whenever anyone says (or writes or thinks) "random," he or she is making reference to a process beyond human cognition. Who or what generates "random draws"? Isn't "God does" the obvious answer? How is this not religious?

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
EnumaElish said:
Whenever anyone says (or writes or thinks) "random," he or she is making reference to a process beyond human cognition. Who or what generates "random draws"? Isn't "God does" the obvious answer? How is this not religious?

Why on earth would we need a god to generate random events, if we don't need one to generate deterministic ones? Just because WE can't generate truly random events doesn't mean that a godless universe can't.

EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
selfAdjoint said:
Why on earth would we need a god to generate random events, if we don't need one to generate deterministic ones?
Even when science can answer "how," it cannot answer "why."

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
selfAdjoint said:
Why on earth would we need a god to generate random events, if we don't need one to generate deterministic ones? Just because WE can't generate truly random events doesn't mean that a godless universe can't.
This seems strange to me. To me, it seems that generation requires a generator, even if the output is only random events.

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Math Is Hard said:
This seems strange to me. To me, it seems that generation requires a generator, even if the output is only random events.

With that attitude, you are stuck with a prime mover, a la Aristotle. This may not be a god in the religious sense, but it sure looks like one.