Are stages 2-3 and 1-4 adiabatic in the OTTO cycle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JakePearson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cycle Otto
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Adiabatic and isentropic are one and the same thing. The adiabats on your diagram are 1-2 and 3-4. The other two, 2-3 and 1-4 are isochoric (constant volume).
 
Last edited:
kuruman said:
Adiabatic and isentropic are one and the same thing.
Isentropic processes are always adiabatic. Adiabatic processes, however, are not always isentropic. A non-isentropic adiabatic process, such as free expansion of a gas, should not be referred to as adiabatic, in my view. However, I seem to have lost that battle.

AM
 
Andrew Mason said:
Isentropic processes are always adiabatic. Adiabatic processes, however, are not always isentropic. A non-isentropic adiabatic process, such as free expansion of a gas, should not be referred to as adiabatic, in my view. However, I seem to have lost that battle.

AM
Thanks for pointing out the subtle difference. I should have confined myself to answering the original question instead of trying to generalize.