Are the Fresnel coefficients equal for E and B fields?

In summary, the Maxwell Equations give us four boundary conditions for an electromagnetic wave crossing an interface between two dielectric media. For TE polarization, these conditions show that the parallel components of the electric and magnetic fields of the incoming, reflected, and transmitted waves must follow certain relationships, with angles of incidence, reflection, and transmission denoted as \theta_{i}, \theta_{r}, and \theta_{t}, respectively. By using the equations B=n\,E/c and E_{r}/E_{i} = R and E_{t}/E_{i} = T, we can derive the known Fresnel coefficients for TE polarization. However, if we express the equations in terms of the magnetic field, the transmission coefficient becomes
Gabriel Maia
From the Maxwell Equations we know that there are four boundary conditions for an electromagnetic wave crossing an interface between two dielectric media. For the TE polarisation state, these conditions give us that

[itex] E_{i} + E_{r} = E_{t} [/itex]

[itex] B_{i}\,\cos\theta_{i} - B_{r}\,\cos\theta_{r} = B_{t}\,\cos\theta_{t} [/itex]

where [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are the components parallel to the interface of the electric and the magnetic fields, respectively. The indices i, r and t are associated with the incoming, the reflected and the transmitted waves, being then [itex]\theta_{i}[/itex] the angle of incidence, [itex]\theta_{r}=\theta_{i}[/itex] the angle of reflection and [itex]\theta_{t}[/itex] the angle of transmission.

Now, knowing that [itex]B=n\,E/c[/itex] and that [itex]E_{r}/E_{i} = R[/itex] and [itex]E_{t}/E_{i} = T[/itex] we have the set of equations

[itex] 1 + R = T [/itex]

[itex] 1 - R = \frac{\displaystyle n_{2}\,\cos\theta_{t}}{\displaystyle n_{1}\,\cos\theta_{i}}\,T [/itex]

Solving these equations, we will arrive at the known Fresnel coefficients for the TE polarisation:

[itex] T = \frac{\displaystyle 2\,n_{1} \cos\theta_{i}}{\displaystyle n_{1}\,\cos\theta_{i}+n_{2}\,\cos\theta_{t}} [/itex]

[itex] R = \frac{\displaystyle n_{1}\,\cos\theta_{i}-n_{2}\,\cos\theta_{t}}{\displaystyle n_{1}\,\cos\theta_{i}+n_{2}\,\cos\theta_{t}} [/itex]

The problem is that, if I write the equations in terms of the magnetic field, that is, if I use that [itex]E=c\,B/n[/itex], the transmission coefficient becomes different:

[itex] T = \frac{\displaystyle 2\,n_{2} \cos\theta_{i}}{\displaystyle n_{1}\,\cos\theta_{i}+n_{2}\,\cos\theta_{t}} [/itex]Is this correct? I could not find a mistake in my derivations so I am inclined to believe it is indeed correct, but if it is so, why do we always talk about the Fresnel coefficients of the Electric field?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriel Maia said:
[itex]E_{t}/E_{i} = T[/itex]

Are you sure about this?
I would calculate the transmission comparing the Poynting vector of the incident and the transmitted light. Assuming ##\mu=1##,
##E_tB_T/(E_iB_i)=T## or ##n_2E_t^2/n_1E_i^2## and a similar equation for R.

DrDu said:
Are you sure about this?
I would calculate the transmission comparing the Poynting vector of the incident and the transmitted light. Assuming ##\mu=1##,
##E_tB_T/(E_iB_i)=T## or ##n_2E_t^2/n_1E_i^2## and a similar equation for R.
Doing some math I found out that, in order for

[itex]B_{t} = n\,E_{t}/c[/itex]

we must have

[itex]E_{t} = T_{E}\,E_{i}[/itex]

[itex]B_{t} = T_{B}\,B_{i}[/itex]

So I believe it makes sense for the Fresnel coefficients to be different for both fields.

Gabriel Maia said:
So I believe it makes sense for the Fresnel coefficients to be different for both fields.
Probably yes. It is a bit confusing that you uses "T" and "R" for the coefficients of the field amplitudes. Most texts I know use "t" and "r" for the amplitudes and use the capital letters for the intensities.

Likes Gabriel Maia

1. What are Fresnel coefficients?

Fresnel coefficients are complex numbers that describe the reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves at the interface between two different mediums. They are used to calculate the amplitude and phase of the reflected and transmitted waves.

2. How do the Fresnel coefficients differ for E and B fields?

The Fresnel coefficients for E and B fields are equal in magnitude, but they differ in phase. This means that the amplitude of the reflected and transmitted waves is the same for both E and B fields, but the phase is shifted by 90 degrees.

3. Why do the Fresnel coefficients differ for E and B fields?

The difference in phase between the Fresnel coefficients for E and B fields is due to the fact that the E and B fields are orthogonal to each other. This means that they have different polarization directions, which results in a phase shift of 90 degrees.

4. Do the Fresnel coefficients depend on the angle of incidence?

Yes, the Fresnel coefficients are dependent on the angle of incidence. As the angle of incidence changes, the polarization of the incident wave changes, which in turn affects the phase difference between the E and B fields and thus the Fresnel coefficients.

5. How are the Fresnel coefficients used in practical applications?

The Fresnel coefficients are used in many practical applications, such as in optics and telecommunications, to calculate the reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves at interfaces. They are also important in understanding the behavior of light at different mediums, such as in lenses and mirrors.