Are Planets Electrically Neutral or Charged?

In summary, the Earth is considered electrically neutral and is neither positively nor negatively charged. This is due to the relationship between gravitational potential energy and electric charge. The Earth's potential energy is taken as zero at infinity, resulting in a negative potential at any finite distance. This has nothing to do with charge and the Earth is considered to be at a zero potential in terms of charge.
Amrutha.phy
Planets are said to be uncharged... Leave about the rest but we consider Earth as a negative potential (I suppose)... :tongue2: please clarify my doubt...

Physics news on Phys.org
The Earth is electrically neutral - I don't understand your question.

Amrutha.phy said:
Planets are said to be uncharged... Leave about the rest but we consider Earth as a negative potential
Where did you hear this?

I wonder if you aren't confusing gravitational potential energy with electric charge. Since potential energy is always relative to some fixed value, we are free to take it zero at any point. Because graviational force varies as [itex]1/r^2[/itex], gravitational potential varies as [itex]1/r[/itex] and it is simplest to take the zero point at infinity. And since gravitational potential decreases as you approach the earth, taking zero at infinity means the gravitational potential at any finite distance is negative.

However, that has nothing at all to do with "charge".

(I suppose)... :tongue2: please clarify my doubt...

building on from "hallsofivy's" comment, even if u consider the electrical approach ie using coulomb's law, the Earth as a whole is considered to be at a zero potential,(in terms of charge) ie Earth is neither positively charged nor negatively charged.

Hope that clears things up
Using the premise, the Earth is neutral.

Yeah I confused between gravitational potential and charge... Yeah I got it clarified thank u..

1. Are all planets in our solar system electrically neutral?

Yes, all planets in our solar system are electrically neutral. This means that they have an equal number of positive and negative charges, resulting in a net charge of zero.

2. How do we know that the planets are uncharged?

We know that the planets are uncharged because of the laws of electromagnetism. These laws state that positive and negative charges will attract each other and cancel out, resulting in an overall neutral charge.

3. Could a planet become charged in the future?

It is possible for a planet to become charged in the future, but it would require a significant external force, such as a large influx of charged particles from a solar flare or a collision with a highly charged object.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that planets are uncharged?

There are some exceptions to the rule that planets are uncharged. For example, Jupiter's moon Io is constantly bombarded by charged particles from Jupiter's magnetic field, resulting in a net negative charge on its surface.

5. How does a planet's charge (or lack thereof) affect its interactions with other objects in space?

A planet's charge does not significantly affect its interactions with other objects in space. Gravity is the dominant force in these interactions, and the small amount of electrical attraction or repulsion between objects does not have a noticeable effect on their trajectories.