Are the Republicans finally rejecting Right-wing radio?

  • News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radio
In summary, Laura Ingraham endorsed Mitt Romney and claimed "There is no way in hell I could pull the lever for John McCain." Ann Coulter claimed she would campaign for Hillary Clinton should McCain get the Republican nod. Rush Limbaugh similarly would rather see a Democrat in the White House than McCain.
  • #1
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,142
1,759
While driving home from Portland today I listened to the only station that was actively reporting on today's election results. It took awhile to realize that this was right-wing radio because for a time the reporting was just news. But then she - the show's host - started in on her naive right-wing view of the world.

Aside from the fact that many of her alleged facts were incorrect or misleading, the most striking comment made was how, during the debates so far, of which we've had quite a few, no one asked the important questions. At first I was trying to think of what she meant: The war... the economy... SS... health care... the war on terror... the border...? What have they not addressed? Finally she spilled the beans: They have not asked one question about banning gay marriages! :rolleyes:

Of late there is a fair amount of evidence that the Rush Limbaugh’s of the world will soon be tossed out with the rest of the garbage; or at least that his big mouth won't carry weight any more. Most notably, when Limbaugh claims that a McCain victory means the death of the Republican Party, and when Ann Coulter says that she would vote for Clinton before McCain, and considering that McCain is about to win the nomination, I wish a not so fond adieu to the zealots, nuts, and control freaks who replaced conservatism with fundamentalism, bigotry, and hypocrisy.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
I know that this doesn't add anything of any value, but I can't wait until this political junk is over with...
 
  • #3
Ivan Seeking said:
I wish a not so fond adieu to the zealots, nuts, and control freaks who replaced conservatism with fundamentalism, bigotry, and hypocrisy.

Can I join you in your bidding of farewell? Good bye, and good riddance, or in the words of The Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff, "Yo, home smell you later".
 
  • #4
Ivan Seeking said:
While driving home from Portland today I listened to the only station that was actively reporting on today's election results. It took awhile to realize that this was right-wing radio because for a time the reporting was just news. But then she - the show's host - started in on her naive right-wing view of the world.

Aside from the fact that many of her alleged facts were incorrect or misleading, the most striking comment made was how, during the debates so far, of which we've had quite a few, no one asked the important questions. At first I was trying to think of what she meant: The war... the economy... SS... health care... the war on terror... the border...? What have they not addressed? Finally she spilled the beans: They have not asked one question about banning gay marriages! :rolleyes:

Of late there is a fair amount of evidence that the Rush Limbaugh’s of the world will soon be tossed out with the rest of the garbage; or at least that his big mouth won't carry weight any more. Most notably, when Limbaugh claims that a McCain victory means the death of the Republican Party, and when Ann Coulter says that she would vote for Clinton before McCain, and considering that McCain is about to win the nomination, I wish a not so fond adieu to the zealots, nuts, and control freaks who replaced conservatism with fundamentalism, bigotry, and hypocrisy.

What is your point of discussion exactly?
 
  • #5
His point is that right-wing radio is in the midst of an all-out attack on McCain and the voters aren't listening. Laura Ingraham endorsed Mitt Romney and claimed "There is no way in hell I could pull the lever for John McCain." Ann Coulter claimed she would campaign for Hillary Clinton should McCain get the Republican nod. Rush Limbaugh similarly would rather see a Democrat in the White House than McCain.

McCain, when asked about the imbroglio regarding Limbaugh, said "I don't listen to him. There's a certain trace of masochism in my family, but not that deep."
 
  • #6
D H said:
His point is that right-wing radio is in the midst of an all-out attack on McCain and the voters aren't listening. Laura Ingraham endorsed Mitt Romney and claimed "There is no way in hell I could pull the lever for John McCain." Ann Coulter claimed she would campaign for Hillary Clinton should McCain get the Republican nod. Rush Limbaugh similarly would rather see a Democrat in the White House than McCain.

McCain, when asked about the imbroglio regarding Limbaugh, said "I don't listen to him. There's a certain trace of masochism in my family, but not that deep."

I C. I'm not much of a fan of McCain myself. When he tried run that immigration bill thru, that did it for me. If he hadn't of done that, he would on top everywhere IMO.
 
  • #7
But, I don't see right-wing radio disappearing any time soon. It just goes to show that people listen to it, they don't worship it like mindless robots.
 
  • #8
I think the BBC summed it up best. The Hard Core Republicans would rather lose than endorse someone not in the "inner circle" of their beliefs.

IMO, McCain is the only Republican that might ensure a Republican win over a white woman or a black man. I know we aren't supposed to admit that there is racism in America or that there isn't the good ol' boy attitude that a woman's place is in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant. Fact is, there is a large part of this country that still lives in the past, and a Republican white male that is considered more liberal could steal a lot of Democratic votes away.
 
  • #9
I'm in the NorthWest and see very little racism. Most people I talk to, mostly conservative, like Obama. Very few (one actually) people I know will vote Hillary. Nothing to do with the fact that she is female. That doesn't bug anyone I know one bit. We have just had enough with the Clintons, and Hillary just doesn't fit the bill as "presidential" IMO.
 
  • #10
I have seen the republican candidates mention Gay Marriage, but they have been very subtle. They say things like "I will protect marriage". We will see how the emphasis of specific issues pans out later on. Right now the republicans are facing each other vice versa with the democrats.

I think that some new issues will be exploited when the primaries are over. Some tricks are best when saved for last because then there is less time for counter arguments.
 
  • #11
drankin said:
But, I don't see right-wing radio disappearing any time soon. It just goes to show that people listen to it, they don't worship it like mindless robots.

Sorry, but for the most part I disagree. What I see is an entire audience that has been brainwashed by the daily assault of lies and half-truths. You can't listen to this nonsense day in and day out without being affected by it. And like the KKK, RWR won't disappear, but I think their golden age has ended.

And, I might add, they have done far more damage to this country than the terrorists could hope to do - they got Bush elected twice!
 
Last edited:
  • #12
Ivan Seeking said:
And like the KKK, RWR won't disappear, but I think their golden age has ended.

With all due respect, let's hope the golden age of baseless hate group comparisons has ended as well. In exactly what way is RWR similar to the KKK?
 
Last edited:
  • #13
Ivan Seeking said:
What I see is an entire audience that has been brainwashed by the daily assault of lies and half-truths. You can't listen to this nonsense day in and day out without being affected by it.
You are referring here of course to CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN etc. These networks by the way still have an audience far greater than the cable only companies.
 
Last edited:
  • #14
Ivan Seeking said:
Sorry, but for the most part I disagree. What I see is an entire audience that has been brainwashed by the daily assault of lies and half-truths. You can't listen to this nonsense day in and day out without being affected by it. And like the KKK, RWR won't disappear, but I think their golden age has ended.

Do you listen to Rush? What was the name of that radio host you were listening to?

And, I might add, they have done far more damage to this country than the terrorists could hope to do - they got Bush elected twice!

Gee, all this time I thought he won the election based on a majority of electoral votes. In the second election he got over 62 million votes. His audience is only 20 million...

What was that thingy you said about half-truths, lies, etc...?
 
  • #15
mheslep said:
You are referring here of course to CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN etc. These networks by the way have still have an audience far greater than the cable only companies.

Yeah, this thread is just another diatribe.

Too bad we can't go back to the good old days when we got COMPLETELY unbiased coverage from ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN...

LAUGH!
 
  • #16
To the OP:

I myself have come to the conclusion that the hosts of RWR are not "naive" as you describe them - and there is a reason they are always "on message" with one another. The only people who actually believe the hosts are genuine are the ones who call in - they've been fooled.

It only takes a little bit of critical listening before you realize they are all just poorly disguised shills.

That said I have to admit I listen to them here and there - it helps to know what the propaganda machine is putting out there, so you can more easily recognize it.
 
  • #17
EVERYONE has an agenda. "Right wing radio" as well as all the alphabet channels, Pacifica, and NPR have the agenda to keep the listeners/viewers they have and gain more. Everyone of those previously mentioned has a set of listeners/viewers that will "tow the line", "drink the koolaid", whatever you want to call it. The electorate needs to drop the apathy, research and support their candidate of choice, and foremost make a decision based on their own beliefs, not what some guy says on TV or radio. That being said, I don't think we'll ever have a real election of the people until this two party nonsence is eliminated. Honestly, why would anyone want to be subjected to all this anyway. No wonder we get what we get.
 
Last edited:
  • #18
Ronnin said:
That being said, I don't think we'll ever have a real election of the people until this two party nonsence is eliminated. Honestly, why would anyone want to be subjected to all this anyway. No wonder we get what we get.

Ronnin, you hear that sort of commentary every election when the choices start to narrow down. Before that you hear about the "clamor of confusion" as the numerous candidates propose their views.

Now we're going to hear about, we should have a system like *blank". They have 14 candidates to choose from... We've only got two or three.

In this country, the primaries whittle down the candidates, until those that most effectively represent the majority of their constituents remain.

Do you really think that Ron Paul has the same ideas as Huckabee? Or Kucinich as Obama?
 
  • #19
I don't agree 100% with anyone on RWR. There is plenty of garbage to sort thru. But I hear more common sense there than I do on any television program. The voices will change but RWR isn't going anywhere.
 
  • #20
seycyrus said:
Ronnin, you hear that sort of commentary every election when the choices start to narrow down. Before that you hear about the "clamor of confusion" as the numerous candidates propose their views.

Now we're going to hear about, we should have a system like *blank". They have 14 candidates to choose from... We've only got two or three.

In this country, the primaries whittle down the candidates, until those that most effectively represent the majority of their constituents remain.

Do you really think that Ron Paul has the same ideas as Huckabee? Or Kucinich as Obama?

I really wish I could believe this process was for the sake of bringing out the best options available. I see what I will be forced to choose from in November and say to myself, "This is the best our country has to offer?" I'm affraid this process is more akin to a pageant than any kind of real qualifier.
 
  • #21
Ronnin said:
a set of listeners/viewers that will "tow the line"

I believe you mean "toe the line".

The radio is entertainment people enjoy listening into during their day. There is no need to listen or read party line opinions to understand politics. Some people chose to listen and read because they love to hear it or love to hate to hear it.
 
  • #22
Like it's counterpart on the left wing, right wing radio is the domain of extremists. And to the extremists on the right, even Bush is too liberal. To 'ordinary' conservatives, these guys are an irrelevancy anyway. McCain's victory will do nothing to change any of that, just as Clinton's victory didn't make the left-wing wackos jump ship either.
 
  • #23
DrClapeyron said:
I believe you mean "toe the line".
I never knew how that expression got started, thanks for the correction. I'll put this one down with "begs the question", as one that gets used incorrectly often.
 
  • #24
Ronnin said:
I never knew how that expression got started, thanks for the correction. I'll put this one down with "begs the question", as one that gets used incorrectly often.

It started in the British House of Commons when politicians still wore swords to parliamentary sessions. Each party had a line drawn more than a sword's length apart. When things became too heated, members of parliament were ordered to toe the line in order prevent bloodshed between the opposing parties.

In a way, the ability to assemble different groups with drastically different political goals together in the same room without the assembly resorting to bloodshed is one of civilization's greatest accomplishments. The discipline to conform to the rules by toeing the line, no matter how heated the argument, was an essential quality of any member of parliament since the alternative would be the total break down of government and civilization.
 
  • #25
Who says right wing radio is dead?

Romney concession speech said:
Thank you so much. What a welcome. That is so fabulous. And it's such an honor to be introduced by Laura Ingraham.


You know, we have all the fun. The people in our party, they're gorgeous, they're brilliant. It's wonderful to have Laura Ingraham on our side. You know that? She is wonderful.


(APPLAUSE)


Thanks to her and all the talk radio for what they do to keep the conservative movement strong and alive and vibrant. And I appreciate her generous introduction.
 
  • #26
russ_watters said:
Like it's counterpart on the left wing, right wing radio is the domain of extremists. And to the extremists on the right, even Bush is too liberal. To 'ordinary' conservatives, these guys are an irrelevancy anyway. McCain's victory will do nothing to change any of that, just as Clinton's victory didn't make the left-wing wackos jump ship either.

I agree. They aren't going anywhere. They aren't supporting the Republican party, per se, they are supporting an extreme faction of it, so will not hesitate to attack any moderate Republican to try to garner support for the more right wing extremists. I think they've already realized they're out for 2008 and are setting their sights on 2012.
 
  • #27
russ_watters said:
Like it's counterpart on the left wing, right wing radio is the domain of extremists.

Left-wing radio doesn't work. There is no real counterpart because liberals don't tend to incite hate. Instead they swoon over issues.

McCain's victory will do nothing to change any of that, just as Clinton's victory didn't make the left-wing wackos jump ship either.

It's not that McCain's victory will change anything, rather McCain's victory is evidence that times are changing - people have learned that hate radio betrayed them with Bush and his war. Of course the Limbaughs of the world blame Bush because they are too small to admit that they were 100% wrong! And all but the most die-hard ditto-head can recognize the Bush admin has been a disaster.

It is clear that these guys have been highly relevant for the right - they made the Bush circus possible. All that one must do is consider the size of his audience and then listen to the nonsense that listeners regurgitate, like the Swift Boat attacks, in order to appreciate the impact.
 
  • #28
Ivan Seeking said:
Left-wing radio doesn't work. There is no real counterpart because liberals don't tend to incite hate. Instead they swoon over issues.

I've heard just as much hate from the liberals as I have the conservatives. And just as many lies and half truths. It's the nature of the medium. You have to be shocking in order to get the ratings and survive. Since the audience for talk radio is predominantly conservative and "liberal" radio tends to focus on entertainment I'd imagine liberal hosts for political shows are likely worse due to their need to "entertain" their target audience. An exception being NPR/BBC which is the only news radio the liberals I know listen to. All other liberal to centrist hosts I have heard on the radio who didn't unashamedly use shock tactics didn't last.
 
  • #29
Meatbot said:
With all due respect, let's hope the golden age of baseless hate group comparisons has ended as well. In exactly what way is RWR similar to the KKK?

once there were liberal members of the GOP in the south few in numbers true but
very liberal and the rightwingers were all in the demo camp [ dixiecrat ]

most of the same people, who were anti civil rights, became the core of the southern shift
from the dixiecrat wing of the demo's to the new southern GOP with a short stop in the
George Wallace, camp in 68

they lost the race based fear code words and used instead the new law and order
and anti-welfare code words like forced busing, states' rights once the battles of the schools and jim crow laws was over
but the under lieing ideas remained

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

sorry but the people who supported the KKK
became the new supporters of the southern GOP
I watched it happen
 
  • #30
Evo said:
I think the BBC summed it up best. The Hard Core Republicans would rather lose than endorse someone not in the "inner circle" of their beliefs.

IMO, McCain is the only Republican that might ensure a Republican win over a white woman or a black man. I know we aren't supposed to admit that there is racism in America or that there isn't the good ol' boy attitude that a woman's place is in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant. Fact is, there is a large part of this country that still lives in the past, and a Republican white male that is considered more liberal could steal a lot of Democratic votes away.

If any minority will not get elected , I'd put my money on athiests. There was a poll taken a few years back that said most americans, even if the candidate had suggested pertinent policies , would not elect that candidate if he said he were atheist . Now that's a darn shame.
 

Related to Are the Republicans finally rejecting Right-wing radio?

1. What is Right-wing radio?

Right-wing radio refers to a type of talk radio that promotes conservative political views and often features hosts who are outspoken proponents of the Republican party.

2. Why are Republicans potentially rejecting Right-wing radio?

There are a few potential reasons for this. Some Republicans may feel that Right-wing radio has become too extreme or divisive, and they want to distance themselves from that. Others may believe that the party needs to broaden its appeal and reach out to more moderate voters.

3. What evidence suggests that Republicans are rejecting Right-wing radio?

There have been a few notable instances where Republicans have publicly criticized or distanced themselves from Right-wing radio. For example, in 2020, Republican Senator Mitt Romney denounced a tweet from a Right-wing radio host that spread false information about the COVID-19 pandemic.

4. How might this shift impact the Republican party?

If Republicans continue to reject Right-wing radio, it could lead to a shift in the party's messaging and priorities. They may focus more on issues that appeal to a broader range of voters and distance themselves from extreme rhetoric.

5. Is this a significant change for the Republican party?

It is difficult to say at this point. While there have been some notable instances of Republicans rejecting Right-wing radio, it is not yet clear if this will become a widespread trend. It will likely depend on the actions and decisions of individual politicians and the overall direction of the party.

Similar threads

Replies
25
Views
5K
Replies
51
Views
7K
  • General Discussion
8
Replies
253
Views
25K
Replies
13
Views
3K
  • General Discussion
Replies
9
Views
2K
Replies
27
Views
4K
  • General Discussion
Replies
17
Views
3K
  • General Discussion
2
Replies
59
Views
12K
  • General Discussion
Replies
21
Views
4K
Replies
28
Views
7K
Back
Top