Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are the Republicans finally rejecting Right-wing radio?

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While driving home from Portland today I listened to the only station that was actively reporting on today's election results. It took awhile to realize that this was right-wing radio because for a time the reporting was just news. But then she - the show's host - started in on her naive right-wing view of the world.

Aside from the fact that many of her alleged facts were incorrect or misleading, the most striking comment made was how, during the debates so far, of which we've had quite a few, no one asked the important questions. At first I was trying to think of what she meant: The war... the economy... SS... health care... the war on terror... the border...? What have they not addressed? Finally she spilled the beans: They have not asked one question about banning gay marriages!!! :rolleyes:

Of late there is a fair amount of evidence that the Rush Limbaugh’s of the world will soon be tossed out with the rest of the garbage; or at least that his big mouth won't carry weight any more. Most notably, when Limbaugh claims that a McCain victory means the death of the Republican Party, and when Ann Coulter says that she would vote for Clinton before McCain, and considering that McCain is about to win the nomination, I wish a not so fond adieu to the zealots, nuts, and control freaks who replaced conservatism with fundamentalism, bigotry, and hypocrisy.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2
    I know that this doesn't add anything of any value, but I can't wait until this political junk is over with....
  4. Feb 5, 2008 #3

D H

Staff: Mentor

Can I join you in your bidding of farewell? Good bye, and good riddance, or in the words of The Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff, "Yo, home smell you later".
  5. Feb 5, 2008 #4
    What is your point of discussion exactly?
  6. Feb 5, 2008 #5

D H

His point is that right-wing radio is in the midst of an all-out attack on McCain and the voters aren't listening. Laura Ingraham endorsed Mitt Romney and claimed "There is no way in hell I could pull the lever for John McCain." Ann Coulter claimed she would campaign for Hillary Clinton should McCain get the Republican nod. Rush Limbaugh similarly would rather see a Democrat in the White House than McCain.

McCain, when asked about the imbroglio regarding Limbaugh, said "I don't listen to him. There's a certain trace of masochism in my family, but not that deep."
  7. Feb 5, 2008 #6
    I C. I'm not much of a fan of McCain myself. When he tried run that immigration bill thru, that did it for me. If he hadn't of done that, he would on top everywhere IMO.
  8. Feb 5, 2008 #7
    But, I don't see right-wing radio disappearing any time soon. It just goes to show that people listen to it, they don't worship it like mindless robots.
  9. Feb 5, 2008 #8

I think the BBC summed it up best. The Hard Core Republicans would rather lose than endorse someone not in the "inner circle" of their beliefs.

IMO, McCain is the only Republican that might ensure a Republican win over a white woman or a black man. I know we aren't supposed to admit that there is racism in America or that there isn't the good ol' boy attitude that a woman's place is in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant. Fact is, there is a large part of this country that still lives in the past, and a Republican white male that is considered more liberal could steal a lot of Democratic votes away.
  10. Feb 5, 2008 #9
    I'm in the NorthWest and see very little racism. Most people I talk to, mostly conservative, like Obama. Very few (one actually) people I know will vote Hillary. Nothing to do with the fact that she is female. That doesn't bug anyone I know one bit. We have just had enough with the Clintons, and Hillary just doesn't fit the bill as "presidential" IMO.
  11. Feb 5, 2008 #10
    I have seen the republican candidates mention Gay Marriage, but they have been very subtle. They say things like "I will protect marriage". We will see how the emphasis of specific issues pans out later on. Right now the republicans are facing each other vice versa with the democrats.

I think that some new issues will be exploited when the primaries are over. Some tricks are best when saved for last because then there is less time for counter arguments.
  12. Feb 6, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, but for the most part I disagree. What I see is an entire audience that has been brainwashed by the daily assault of lies and half-truths. You can't listen to this nonsense day in and day out without being affected by it. And like the KKK, RWR won't disappear, but I think their golden age has ended.

And, I might add, they have done far more damage to this country than the terrorists could hope to do - they got Bush elected twice!
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  13. Feb 6, 2008 #12
    With all due respect, let's hope the golden age of baseless hate group comparisons has ended as well. In exactly what way is RWR similar to the KKK?
  14. Feb 6, 2008 #13

Gold Member

You are referring here of course to CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN etc. These networks by the way still have an audience far greater than the cable only companies.
  15. Feb 6, 2008 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you listen to Rush? What was the name of that radio host you were listening to?

Gee, all this time I thought he won the election based on a majority of electoral votes. In the second election he got over 62 million votes. His audience is only 20 million...

What was that thingy you said about half-truths, lies, etc...?
  16. Feb 6, 2008 #15
    Yeah, this thread is just another diatribe.

Too bad we can't go back to the good old days when we got COMPLETELY unbiased coverage from ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN...

17. Feb 6, 2008 #16
    To the OP:

I myself have come to the conclusion that the hosts of RWR are not "naive" as you describe them - and there is a reason they are always "on message" with one another. The only people who actually believe the hosts are genuine are the ones who call in - they've been fooled.

It only takes a little bit of critical listening before you realize they are all just poorly disguised shills.

That said I have to admit I listen to them here and there - it helps to know what the propaganda machine is putting out there, so you can more easily recognize it.
  18. Feb 6, 2008 #17
    EVERYONE has an agenda. "Right wing radio" as well as all the alphabet channels, Pacifica, and NPR have the agenda to keep the listeners/viewers they have and gain more. Everyone of those previously mentioned has a set of listeners/viewers that will "tow the line", "drink the koolaid", whatever you want to call it. The electorate needs to drop the apathy, research and support their candidate of choice, and foremost make a decision based on their own beliefs, not what some guy says on TV or radio. That being said, I don't think we'll ever have a real election of the people until this two party nonsence is eliminated. Honestly, why would anyone want to be subjected to all this anyway. No wonder we get what we get.
  19. Feb 6, 2008 #18
    Ronnin, you hear that sort of commentary every election when the choices start to narrow down. Before that you hear about the "clamor of confusion" as the numerous candidates propose their views.

Now we're going to hear about, we should have a system like *blank". They have 14 candidates to choose from... We've only got two or three.

In this country, the primaries whittle down the candidates, until those that most effectively represent the majority of their constituents remain.

Do you really think that Ron Paul has the same ideas as Huckabee? Or Kucinich as Obama?
  20. Feb 6, 2008 #19
    I don't agree 100% with anyone on RWR. There is plenty of garbage to sort thru. But I hear more common sense there than I do on any television program. The voices will change but RWR isn't going anywhere.
  21. Feb 6, 2008 #20
    I really wish I could believe this process was for the sake of bringing out the best options available. I see what I will be forced to choose from in November and say to myself, "This is the best our country has to offer?" I'm affraid this process is more akin to a pageant than any kind of real qualifier.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?