1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are the set of all the polynomials of degree 2 a vector space?

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let P denote the set of all polynomials whose degree is exactly 2. Is P a vector space? Justify your answer.

2. Relevant equations
    (the numbers next to the a's are substripts
    P is defined as ---->A(0)+A(1)x+A(2)x^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I really dont know how to do this problem. i want to say that it isn't a vector space because it violates the property of having an additive inverse. as in, there is no value of x such that

F(x) + (F(-x)) = F(x)+(-F(x)) = 0 if we keep all of the values for A the same

A(0) + A(1)x + A(2)x^2 + A(0) + A(1)(-x) + A(2)(-x)^2 == 2A(0) + 2A(2)x^2 != 0

therefore, there is no additive inverse.
    i probably did it wrong, but i dont know. all i know is that the book says that it isnt a vector space, but it doesnt give the reason.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If p(x) is a 2nd degree polynomial, isn't -p(x) also a 2nd degree polynomial? And what happens when you add these two together?

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you think of two 2nd degree polynomials, p(x) and q(x), such that when you add them together, the resulting polynomial isn't 2nd degree?

5. Feb 2, 2012 #4
    so because P(x) + (-(P(x)) = 0 and therefore, the answer is not a 2nd degree polynomial, then it cant be a vector space because it isnt closed under addition? if so, then i guess i just forgot to check the first property for a set to be a vector space and assumed it to be true.

6. Feb 2, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, any vector space has to contain 0, and 0 isn't a 2nd degree polynomial.

Another example would be p(x) = x^2 + x + 1, and q(x) = -x^2. Then p(x) + q(x) = x + 1, which is 1st order.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook