Are there any other occurrences of these interesting equalities?

• I
  • Thread starter Terry Coates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical equation involving variables A, B, and C raised to a power p. It is noted that for p >1, the equation only holds true when p = 5 and A = 17, B = 16, and C = 13. The conversation then goes on to explore other possible solutions for different values of p, with an emphasis on finding the smallest possible value of the resulting variable Y. It is mentioned that for p = 1, 2, or 3, there are an infinite number of solutions for Y, while for p = 4, 5, 6, and 7, solutions are rare and the smallest possible value of Y is achieved with A,
Terry Coates
A^p - B^p - C^p = A - B - C
With p > 1 this appears to occur only when p = 5: A = 17: B = 16 : C = 13

A^p - B^p - C^p = D^p - E^p - F^p = G^p - H^p - I^p = Y
A,B,C = 3,2,1
D,E,F = 9,8,7
G,H,I = 37,36,21
( Y = 64)

Are these really the only occurrences of these equalities?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Terry Coates said:
Are these really the only occurrences of these equalities?
You are asking about solutions where all variables take on positive integer values?

I'll assume A,B,C > 0, otherwise there are many trivial solutions.

p=2 up to A=20:
Code:
A   B   C
7   6   4
9   7   6
11   10   5
12   10   7
14   11   9
16   15   6
17   14   10
19   15   12
There are many solutions for larger A as well.

p=3 has many solutions as well, the smallest one is (16,15,9).

p=4, p=5, p=6 and p=7 don't have a solution for A<200 apart from the one you posted. Heuristic arguments suggest solutions are very rare.

I mean all variables to be positive integers greater than zero.
Thanks for examples with p = 2 and 3, so let's change my question to have p > 3.
The case A,B,C = 17,16,13 represents the nearest to Fermat being wrong with p = 5

Likes Janosh89
Also the three sets of A,B,C for p = 4 represent the least possible value of Y (A, B & C all different from each other)

And with p = 1,2 or 3 the least possible value of Y is zero with an infinite number of sets (Pythagoras triples when p = 2, 1 or 2 with p = 3)

1. What are "Two interesting equalities"?

Two interesting equalities refer to mathematical or scientific equations that have equal values on both sides, demonstrating balance and symmetry.

2. What is the importance of studying "Two interesting equalities"?

Studying two interesting equalities allows scientists to better understand the fundamental principles and relationships within various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and mathematics.

3. How can "Two interesting equalities" be applied in real-life situations?

Two interesting equalities can be applied in various real-life situations, such as predicting the movement of objects, calculating chemical reactions, and solving engineering problems.

4. Can "Two interesting equalities" be disproven or changed?

Like any scientific theory or equation, two interesting equalities can be disproven or modified if new evidence or research suggests a different understanding. However, these equalities have been extensively tested and proven to be accurate in many cases.

5. Are there any famous "Two interesting equalities" that are commonly used in science?

Yes, there are many famous two interesting equalities, such as E=mc² in physics, the Ideal Gas Law in chemistry, and the Pythagorean Theorem in mathematics. These equalities have been widely studied and applied in various scientific fields.