Are there any other twin primes with this property?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nikolany
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Primes Property
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
nikolany
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
The twin primes 5 and 7 are such that one half their sum is a perfect number. Are there any other twin primes with this property?

It works for p=5. I think it should be of the form 1/2*(p+P+2). Is this true? How can I prove it?

Thx
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nikolany said:
Are there any other twin primes with this property?

I didn't find any. It's not too surprising, given how rare perfect numbers are.
 
There aren't any more. An even perfect number (other than 6) is not divisible by three since it is the product of a power of 2 and a mersenne prime. Therefore one of P-1 or P+1 must be divisible by 3, and thus not prime.