Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there complex functions with finite, nonzero branch points?

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1
    I just completed a brief introduction to branch points in complex analysis, and I find it difficult to imagine/come up with functions with nonzero branch points.

My difficulty is this: for the point to be considered a branch point, f(r,θ) and f(r,θ+2π) must be different for ANY closed path. If the branch point is zero, you can arbitrarily shrink the path and still be sweeping from 0 to 2π. If your branch point is anything but the origin, then as the path becomes arbitrarily small, so does the angle you sweep over. In such a case, how can you get multiple values for the same input?

Thanks in advance for any answers to this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2014 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What if you just translate a function with branch point at 0?

4. Aug 30, 2014 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean for any closed path with a winding number around zero. This is specific for a branch point at zero. For a branch point somewhere else, the closed paths to consider are those with a winding number around that other point, not around zero.

5. Sep 3, 2014 #4
    fuserofworlds: look for Riemann surfaces in textbooks or the Internet. They provide a conceptual explanation of branching functions.

6. Sep 3, 2014 #5

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint: find the branch points of [itex] \sqrt{(z-a)(z-b)}[/itex] for [itex]a \neq b[/itex] and neither [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex] are zero.

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook