1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are these proofs correct(bounded and finite variation).

1. Jun 19, 2006 #1
    First of all if you read this and the latex is all messed upp I am probably working on getting it right so plz be patient till I get it right. No need to post a comment that it doesnt work. Thanks :wink:

I havent taken a pure maths class in over 2,5 years so I can hardly remember how to write proofs:yuck:

Problem 1.

Let [tex] C \in \mathbb{R} [/tex] be a arbitrary number. Show that the function
    [tex] f:[a,b]\rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/tex]

given by [tex] f(t)=cos(ct) [/tex]

is of bounded variation. i.e it satisifies the condition

[tex]Sup V_f (t) < \infty [/tex]

[tex] V_f (t) = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} Sup_{ t_k^n,t_{k-1}^n \in \pi_n }
    \sum_{k=1}^n |{(f(t_k^n)-f(t_{k-1}^n)}| [/tex]

with [tex] \pi_n : t_0^n < ...... < t_n^n [/tex]

Since [tex] Cos(ct) [/tex]

is differentiable we can rewrite [tex]V_f (t)[/tex] with the mean value theorem

[tex] V_f (t) = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} Sup_{ t_k^n,t_{k-1}^n \in \pi_n }
    \sum_{k=1}^n \|{(f(t_k^n)-f(t_{k-1}^n)}| = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} Sup_{ t_k^n,t_{k-1}^n \in \pi_n } \sum_{k=1}^n |f^{'} (G)| (t_k^n - t_{k-1}^n) [/tex]

wich is equal to(according to the definition of the riemann integral)

[tex] \int_{a}^{b} |f^{'} (x)| dx [/tex]

with [tex]f(x)=f(t)=cos(ct) [/tex] we get

[tex] \int_{a}^{b} |-csin(ct)| dx \leq \int_{a}^{b} |c| dx = |c|(b-a)[/tex]

[tex] Sup V_f (t) = Sup |c|(b-a) <\infty [/tex]
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2006 #2
    problem 2
    show that the function [tex]g:[0,\infty) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]
    given by [tex]g(t)=sin(ct)[/tex] is of finite variation.

In the same manner as in problem one we get

[tex]V_f ((0,t)) = \int_{0}^{t} |f'(t)|dt = \int_{0}^{t} |ccos(ct)|dt \leq \int_{0}^{t} |c|dt=|c|t<\infty [/tex] for all t equal to or larger than zero. (how do I get the equal to or larger than symbol in latex? and the "for all" symbol?)

wich shows that the function is of finite variation
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  4. Jun 20, 2006 #3
    problem 3
    If the functions [tex]f,g:[0,\infty) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] are of finite variation, show that any linear combination of them,
    [tex]\alpha f + \beta g:[0,\infty) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] [tex] \alpha,\beta \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] are of finite variation.

[tex]V_{f,g} ((0,t))=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \Sup_{ t_k^n,t_{k-1}^n \in \pi_n }\sum_{k=1}^n |{\alpha f(t_k^n)+\beta g(t_k^n)-\alpha f(t_{k-1}^n)-\beta g(t_{k-1}^n)|=[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}Sup_{ t_k^n,t_{k-1}^n \in \pi_n }\sum_{k=1}^n| \alpha (f(t_k^n)-f(t_{k-1})+\beta (g(t_k^n)-g(t_{k-1})| \leq[/tex]

(using triangle inequality)

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}Sup_{ t_k^n,t_{k-1}^n \in \pi_n }\sum_{k=1}^n |\alpha (f(t_k^n)-f(t_{k-1})|+|\beta (g(t_k^n)-g(t_{k-1})| = [/tex]
    (can I just move the alpha and beta outside of the lim,sup and sum like this?)
    [tex]|\alpha| \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}Sup_{ t_k^n,t_{k-1}^n \in \pi_n }\sum_{k=1}^n |(f(t_k^n)-f(t_{k-1})|+ |\beta|\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}Sup_{ t_k^n,t_{k-1}^n \in \pi_n }\sum_{k=1}^n |(g(t_k^n)-g(t_{k-1})| =[/tex]

[tex]|\alpha| V_f((0,t))+|\beta| V_f((0,t)) <\infty[/tex] for all t equal to or larger than zero since [tex]V_f((0,t))<\infty[/tex] and [tex]V_g((0,t)) <\infty[/tex] for all t equal to or larger than zero.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  5. Jun 21, 2006 #4
    I hope I havent made any error that makes the whole thing incomprehensible :(
  6. Jun 21, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

For the first question, the basic idea of the proof seems correct, although I'm not sure how Vf is a function of t, it seems more a function from intervals into the real numbers. And I'm not sure what you're taking the sup of when you write sup Vf(t) or sup |c|(b-a). Besides these details it looks correct. For the second, do they mean "of bounded variation on the set [0,t], for all t in R"? If so, this is just a special case of the last problem. The third proof seems correct as well.
  7. Jun 21, 2006 #6
    yes you are quite correct I just made some errors :)

Thanks alot for checking, appriciate it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?