Are two magnets twice as strong as one?

• Thread starter cuffbertt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, if two magnets are attached to one another and are pulled apart, it will require more force to separate them than if they are attached to a static object.
cuffbertt
Hi there,

I am having trouble with a project I am working on... hopefully someone will be able to help me. :)

I have some neodymium magnets that are rated as having a ”pull" strength of 3.1kg each, I am assuming that this means that you can attach it to a metallic surface and it would take 3.1kg (or about 30N) to pull it off.

If I was to attach one magnet to another, and try and pull them apart, would they pull towards each other with 30N of force each, resulting in 60N being required to pull them apart?

I have done some testing with a tensile testing machine, and the results have confused me somewhat, the two magnets separated at 24N. I have come to the conclusion that either I am hideously wrong in my assumption and have now got to rectify my mistake, or the manufacturer has been somewhat generous with their quotes.

I've spent some time looking online and I cannot seem to find an answer to this, so if anyone is able to help I would be grateful: D

Physics news on Phys.org
cuffbertt said:
I have done some testing with a tensile testing machine, and the results have confused me somewhat, the two magnets separated at 24N. I have come to the conclusion that either I am hideously wrong in my assumption and have now got to rectify my mistake, or the manufacturer has been somewhat generous with their quotes.

Well, there's a simple way to test this, isn't there? :wink: Next time, use a single magnet attached to a static object, and measure the amount of force. If it's not more or less equal to 12N (you can measure that one again if you want to), then no, attaching those two magnets together doesn't require twice the force to separate. :smile:

1. How does the strength of magnets affect each other?

When two magnets are placed near each other, they either attract or repel each other depending on the orientation of their poles. The strength of this interaction depends on the strength of each individual magnet, as well as the distance between them.

2. Is the strength of two magnets combined equal to the sum of their individual strengths?

No, the combined strength of two magnets is not equal to the sum of their individual strengths. This is because the magnetic fields of the two magnets can interact with each other, resulting in a different overall strength.

3. Can the strength of magnets be increased by adding more magnets?

Yes, the strength of magnets can be increased by adding more magnets. Placing multiple magnets together in a certain orientation can create a stronger magnetic field than a single magnet of the same size.

4. Is there a limit to how strong two magnets can be when combined?

Yes, there is a limit to how strong two magnets can be when combined. This limit is determined by the material and size of the magnets, as well as the distance between them. Eventually, the magnetic fields will reach a point of equilibrium and the strength will not increase any further.

5. Are there any factors that can decrease the strength of two magnets when combined?

Yes, there are factors that can decrease the strength of two magnets when combined. These include the distance between the magnets, the orientation of their poles, and the presence of other materials that can interfere with the magnetic field.