Are virtual particles really there?

In summary: In this case, the particle is said to be "virtual." The idea of virtual particles is a way of accounting for the fact that we can't always observe things as they happen. In the case of electrons scattering off of each other, for example, we can't observe the individual photons that are created. But we can calculate how many photons would be emitted if we did observe the event, and that number is called a "virtual photon." Virtual particles are a way of saying that the photons that we can't see are still there, they just haven't been observed yet.

martinbn said:
Yes, I for one am interested. Of course you should ask them for permission before posting any personal correspondence.

p.s. Since I am very cynical I cannot stop myself asking: how do we know you are not making this up?

Well, that would have been a lot of work. But as a proof I could redirect you their emails. But you are right, I should ask them for permission before posting any personal correspondence. That again looks like a lot of trouble.

I'm not sure if it is worth it, since most of these guys have views that muddying the waters rather than clarifying anything. It would curious people coming to this forum to learn about the concept of virtual particles derail perhaps from a true understanding.

I do not think that is helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You shouldn't have fear.Take permission(which you'll surely get).Verify& post them. what will we people do - comment, we can't eat u up.But it might happen that people like it so much that you'll get motivation to bring up your own theory.

Just tell us if anyone thinks a VP is not
a mathematical artifact of perturbation theory

Many!

Some of the replies you find in this (now merged) thread. I decided to leave it on that.

kexue said:
Well, that would have been a lot of work. But as a proof I could redirect you their emails. But you are right, I should ask them for permission before posting any personal correspondence. That again looks like a lot of trouble.

I'm not sure if it is worth it, since most of these guys have views that muddying the waters rather than clarifying anything. It would curious people coming to this forum to learn about the concept of virtual particles derail perhaps from a true understanding.

I do not think that is helpful.

Look at this way... if you can't produce them and verify your claims, don't bother talking about them. Is that helpful?

Meir Achuz: You'd be talking about kexue then... his virtual particles are so real... I don't have a punchline for that. :rolleyes:

This thread is going nowhere.

You are all reminded that discussion in the physics forums should have actual physics content, not gossip or hearsay.

Zz.