Are we ever in the present time?

• Thread starter 4newton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation revolves around different theories about the nature of reality and the concept of time. One person argues for the possibility of instantaneous information transfer, while the other suggests that the universe is constantly expanding and time is a dimension in which this expansion occurs. Both theories are meant to complement existing physical theories and not completely overthrow them. The conversation ends with a disagreement and a suggestion to move the discussion to a different forum.
4newton
Hypnagogue:
While current physical theories aren't the final word on the nature of reality, we have to have some confidence that they are heading in the right direction. Newtonian mechanics wasn't overthrown; it was demonstrated to be a special case. Likewise, any further refinement on our notion of time and space is not likely to overthrow relativity, but to place it in a wider context. That is, our understanding of time will not be crumpled up and thrown in the trash can, but rather refined, edited, fine-tuned. And for mid-level organisms existing in relatively banal physical circumstances such as ourselves (let alone any arbitrary physical system), instantaneous information transfer would indeed require a complete rewrite of the rules, contradicting everything we know about physical reality, including what has been experimentally confirmed to many, many decimal places. Something like that is just not going to happen, no matter what form the prospective GUT could take.
I am sorry but I am called upon to disagree with you. Here is a description of our universe that is simple and answers the above questions. You may think of this as and extension of Newtonian if you wish. It shows SR and GR to be only a small part of all things. If you disagree please be specific and don’t just make a comment that it does not agree with some other theory.

Observation indicates that the universe started with the Big Bang and that all that is the universe transitioned outward from the Big Bang and is now a distance from the Big Bang. Having no evidence of reason or observation it is expected that all that is the universe is at an equal distance form the Big Bang in all directions. Thus forming a type of hollow sphere. The rate of transition outward from the Big Bang having no known limit other than the speed of light can be assumed to be at a rate equal to the speed of light.

At this point we are able to touch again on observation and we find that this transition outward from the Big Bang meets all the tests and qualifications of what we recognize as time. Therefore a reasonable result is that the transition of the universe outward from the BB is a transition in the time dimension.

We are able to come to the conclusion that there is an absolute time, the distance outward from the BB, and that this time is the same for the whole universe. All actions therefore are always in the present throughout the whole universe.

The above being the case there is no prohibition against instantaneous information transfer, as you can never arrive before an event.

You now have an observational viewpoint that does not contradict any known theory or observation. It may contradict the interpretation of some theories but not the basic theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
As per forum guidelines, I'm moving this over to the Theory Development subforum.

Hypnagogue:
I am sorry that you find my post out of line with your post I thought that you were asking for a theory that answered the questions you posted. I gave you solid foundation for the viewpoint I presented. I realize this thought is outside of your educational conditioning but I think a more specific disagreement on any of the points would only be courteous before sending me off to never never land. I do not however question you absolute authority to do so it is your forum.

Related to Are we ever in the present time?

1. What does it mean to be in the present time?

Being in the present time means experiencing and perceiving the current moment without being influenced by past or future events. It involves being fully aware of one's surroundings, thoughts, and emotions in the present moment.

2. Is it possible to live entirely in the present time?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate thoughts about the past or future, it is possible to cultivate a state of mindfulness and focus on the present moment. This can be achieved through practices such as meditation and mindfulness exercises.

3. How does technology affect our ability to be in the present time?

Technology can both enhance and hinder our ability to be in the present time. On one hand, it can provide us with tools to increase our productivity and efficiency, allowing us to focus on the present moment. On the other hand, constant use of technology can create a constant state of distraction, making it difficult to be fully present and engaged in the current moment.

4. Can we control our perception of time in the present?

Our perception of time can be influenced by various factors such as our emotions, level of engagement, and external stimuli. While we may not have complete control over our perception of time, we can train ourselves to be more mindful and present, which may lead to a sense of time slowing down or speeding up.

5. Why is it important to be in the present time?

Being in the present time can lead to a greater sense of happiness and fulfillment as we are fully engaged and appreciative of the current moment. It can also help reduce stress, anxiety, and negative thoughts associated with dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. Additionally, being present can improve our relationships and overall well-being.