Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are your relatives engineers or scientists

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    How typical is it that an engineering or science student also has other relatives in their family who are also engineers or scientists ?

It it common that the student would have a parent who doesn't give a rat about anything scientific or engineering like? Or is this sort of impossible?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My father is a minister. My siblings are doctors. I'm the only engineer.

I was better in math and science than my siblings :rolleyes:

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My dad was an chemical engineer.

Two of my sisters were programmers, but married engineers (chemical and mechanical).

A third sister was a biologist that became a college professor, but she married a geologist.

I dated a chemical engineer.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My dad is a Civil Engineer (step-dad too, guess my mom has a thing for them). On my dad's side of the family, there are loads of scientists and engineers.

Two of my brothers are engineers (one electronics, the other maritime) and one is a programmer.

I'm the first female in my family in the STEM fields - most before me didn't have the opportunities I had.

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

My younger cousin and I are the first two of our extended family (and the only ones in our immediate families) to attend college. He is a project leader for Lockheed Martin and headed up their team on the recent HST upgrade mission, though he did a long stint working for GE on defense contracts. I have worked as a soils scientist and a process chemist in a pulp mill though I don't have an engineering degree in either - just an aptitude for and love of lab work. Now in forced retirement due to disability, I am free to pursue my avocation - observational astronomy relating to galactic interactions.

7. Feb 7, 2010 #6
    Rough genealogy:

Dad's Side: Mostly musicians(my greatgrandfather and my grandfather were coposes) and mechanical engineers, however, my OTHER great grandfather was a mathematician who worked under Landau and Hilbert.

Mom's side: Farmers and Buddhist monks.

8. Feb 8, 2010 #7
    Dad's side: Granddad was an engineer with a degree in engineering physics, Grandma was a mathematician, dad is a physician with most of an engineer degree his brother got a business masters.

Mom's side: Granddad was an architect, grandma was a Cantor+Schoolteacher, mother is designer. She got no siblings.

2 of my male cousins are engineers, my female cousin is studying to be a teacher, my oldest sibling is an engineer+business double master.

Myself I am not that ambitious so I am currently working on a pure maths + theoretical physics double masters, intending to take a phd afterwards.

If you wonder, where I live masters is the normal degree to take, it is quite uncommon to just take a bachelor in these fields.

9. Feb 8, 2010 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My dad was an Electrical Engineer. My mother worked for Dr Michael Debakey as a nutritionist for his experimental patients at Baylor. Her father was an architect. One uncle was a dentist, my cousin is an MD. One of my sisters is a psychologist, the other is a pharmacist.

10. Feb 8, 2010 #9
    I'm a software engineer, but my degree is in Mathematics. My brother is an electronics engineer, and a cousin is a engineer in power equipment. My brother definitely influenced me. When I started university my major was electronics engineering. I switched to math because I was having trouble with the physics.

11. Feb 8, 2010 #10

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's an interesting coincidence. My mom took care of many of Debakey's patients at Methodist Hospital.

12. Feb 8, 2010 #11

Dembadon

Gold Member

As far (back) as I know:

The males on both sides of my family were/are all tradesmen. The females were/are all teachers [K-12 (mostly kindergarten)]. All chose to follow in the footsteps of their same sex parent.

13. Feb 8, 2010 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Going back, I came from a long line of loggers, farmers, and poachers (all). When the great depression hit, some managed to stay put, and others moved to the river-towns to take whatever jobs there were, so most ended up doing mill-work or some kind or other. Most of the females did not work out of the home, and the large sizes of French-Canadian families gave them plenty to do at home, anyway, especially if they were expected to garden, collect fruits and berries in season, freeze and can food, etc.

14. Feb 8, 2010 #13

Evo

Really? My mother worked for him around 1973? Just a guess based on how old my youngest sister was at the time. She was a toddler.

15. Feb 8, 2010 #14

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My mom worked at MH from about 1971 to some time in the late 90's.

16. Feb 8, 2010 #15
    My dad is a cost manager for an HVAC company, my mom is a college administrator.
    Both of their moms (my grandmas) worked at a fishing lure company painting jigs. My dads dad was a police chief and a logger and a drywall hanger and a etc. etc! I think he has had 12 jobs throughout his life and finished up with being the police chief.
    My great grandpa on my grandpas side held the last commercial fisherman license in Minnesota.
    My grandmas grandma was the daughter of Count Montalto of Venice and was disenherited for marrying a blacksmith. This is when they moved to the US.

17. Feb 8, 2010 #16
    Oh a nice family tree! :biggrin:

18. Feb 8, 2010 #17
    I inadvertently picked up programming from my mom, psychology from my dad.

On my mom's side, my grandmother is a structural (civil) engineer and taught math at a university in Azerbaijan (where they're from). She wanted to collect degrees, but my grandfather didn't want her to be that much more educated than him. My grandfather owned a car manufacturing plant over there, drove a taxi when they got stateside. My mom's got a degree in accounting, works as a programmer, and wanted to be a history major.

On my dad's side, my grandfather was in construction (foreman and the like), my grandma did a brief stint as a phlebotomist, and I don't know what they did back in Ukraine (probably factory owner or sales). My dad's a college drop out, but now he works in psychology/special ed.

My twin brother's a political science major/wannabee lawyer, which I think is a cute gender reversal, but I'm convinced he'd make a good engineer.

19. Feb 8, 2010 #18

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Mom (Business major, college dropout who works in a NGO)

Mom's side: grandfather (Navy Sailor, not US Navy), and grandmother (Finance, college drop out), uncle (Mechanical Engineer)

Dad (Civil Engineer, retired at 55)

Dad's side: grandfather (Dentist), grandmother (socialite, you know model, fashion, ...), uncle (Lawyer), aunt (Business, college dropout).

My sister is an architect who only had 1 semester left to graduate, but she decided to change major to Business and went to the US for it.

I'm the only one besides my Dad with a Master degree, but I'll be the only one of the family with a Master in Science degree in Civil Engineering. However, my family is full of entrepreneurs. My dad, my lawyer uncle, my mechanical engineer uncle, my grandfather's brother have owned and ran some of the most successful businesses in my country. The most successful ran by my grandfather's brother, and a runner-up will be my Dad.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  20. Feb 8, 2010 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Going even farther back in my family, the progenitor for my father's mother's family was a Hessian officer (German mercenary) that fought for England in the Rev War, and chose to accept land and a grub-stake in Prince Edward Island instead of transport back to Germany and a bag of gold. On my father's father's side, his progenitors were Irish immigrants (farmers) and his mother's family were Irish immigrants (fishermen), both of which clans came to Maine during the potato famine in the mid-1800s.

There are some pretty pricey properties named for my family, although they were very poor hardscrabble places back in the day. Orr's Island and Bailey's Island (both in Harpswell, ME) were loaded with poor fishing villages long before the islands became popular as summer-homes from the wealthy people "from away". Want to buy a place there now? You might have to buy it from a Wall Street investment banker.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  21. Feb 8, 2010 #20

Evo

I'm sure my ancestors on my dad's side were all highwaymen & cutpurses. :biggrin: The only exception being his father's cousin.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook