1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of an ellipse using double integrals

1. Feb 14, 2013 #1
    I can do this calculation using different methods; my interest is improving my skills at using this method, rather than the answer.

Trying to find the area of the ellipse [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]

From the Jacobian, we get dxdy = rdrd[itex]\theta[/itex]

So I go from the above equation of the ellipse to [tex]r^2(\frac{cos^2\theta}{a^2} + \frac{sin^2\theta}{b^2}) = 1[/tex]

From here, however, it dawns upon me that I really have no idea how to change the limits?

I'd be perfectly content to be redirected to a resource on this, rather than a person answer, if deemed appropriate.

Thank you.

Edit: For what it's worth, I'd know how to do this method if it were a circle, because I'd just go from r = 0 to r = whatever. But as r varies here, I do not know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Perhaps making a slightly better substitution here would help you a lot. You're assuming x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ is what you need here when really you should be thinking about cancelling out what's in the denominator of your ellipse.

4. Feb 14, 2013 #3
    Is that to say it's not possible to finish the calculation in the method I was intending?

If it is, how would I go about it? Regardless, could you point me in the right direction for cancelling out the denominator?

Thanks.

5. Feb 14, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Rather than transforming to the r-θ plane, why don't you consider transforming to an arbitrary u-v plane.

x = something in terms of u
    y = something in terms of v

Think about what happens when you plug this x and y into your ellipse in an attempt to transform it into a circle, hint hint.

6. Feb 14, 2013 #5
    Ok, so not to type too much out, is it correct if:

I use x = au & y = bu, by which I get the integral as [itex]ab\int du \int dv[/itex] where the first integral is from -1 to 1, and the second is [itex] \sqrt{u^2 - 1}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{1 - u^2}[/itex]?

If this is not correct, then my apologies, but I don't get it.

If it is, then I really don't understand the significance of the transformation. Drawing it shows that it really just shifts the coordinate axes around, and I imagine that the inclusion of the determinant basically makes it a weighted integral? If so, that's where my lack of understanding comes in. Could you perhaps link me to something that explains/derives the integral transform? I know the determinant is related to the area, but other than that I am blind.

Thanks for your patience.

7. Feb 14, 2013 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Close, the transform required is x = au and y = bv so that dx = adu and dy = bdv.

Then your ellipse becomes u2 + v2 = 1.

Now you COULD continue in the uv plane, but I'm sure you don't like ugly limits of integration. You can make this even more convenient by transforming your region a second time. Now from the u,v-plane you can transform to the r, θ-plane, that is let u=rcosθ and v=rsinθ.

Then the Jacobian is very easy to calculate, and the integral gets reduced significantly.

Could you show me what would happen?

8. Feb 14, 2013 #7
    Ahh! Of COURSE I can do it twice. How did I not even think about that? :P

And yeah, I meant y = bv; I even checked over what I wrote...

Ok, so now we use dudv = rdrd[itex]\theta[/itex] to go to [itex]ab \int d\theta \int dr[/itex] with dr limits from 0 to 1, then from - pi to pi, which will give me eventually [itex]ab\pi[/itex].

Thank you :)

9. Feb 14, 2013 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Your answer is slightly off.

Hint : Your limits for theta are off.

10. Feb 14, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In what way is it 'off'? I'll grant that the integrand should be r. I think that's probably just a typo.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  11. Feb 14, 2013 #10

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Theta should be between 0 and 2π. The answer is πab/2.

12. Feb 14, 2013 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Theta going from -pi to pi is just as good as 0 to 2pi. And the answer isn't πab/2. If a=b=r then you have a circle of radius r. The area isn't pi*r^2/2. It's pi*r^2.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  13. Feb 14, 2013 #12

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yeah you're right about it not making a difference I suppose, since it would be the same distance, but :

[itex]\int_{0}^{1} \int_{-π}^{π} (ab)r^3 d \theta dr = \frac{πab}{2} = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{2π} (ab)r^3 d \theta dr[/itex]

14. Feb 14, 2013 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why is your integrand r^3?? You changed x,y to u,v and got a circle in u,v with jacobian ab. Then you changed to polar with jacobian rdrdθ. Where did the extra r^2 come from?

15. Feb 14, 2013 #14

Zondrina

Homework Helper

R := x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1

x = au
    y = bv

R → R' := u^2 + v^2 = 1

u = rcosθ
    v = rsinθ

R' → R'' := r^2 = 1 and the Jacobian of polars is r, so we integrate r^3.

16. Feb 14, 2013 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

r^2=1 defines the limits. It doesn't define the integrand. You were doing a great job on this thread. Now you are going all wiggy on me.

17. Feb 14, 2013 #16

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Then what defines the integrand? He was given an ellipse x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 to integrate.

In (x,y) it is as is, then in (u,v) it changes to u^2 + v^2 and then in polars that's just r^2.

I wouldn't see what's wrong considering I already pre-know that the answer is πab/2.

18. Feb 14, 2013 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you are trying to find area, the integrand is 1. If you are using the wrong pre-knowledge to retro-fit the answer to make it come out to be pi*a*b/2, that's a sad thing. Come on. http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/10006.3.shtml

19. Feb 14, 2013 #18

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ohh I see. You're using Area of R = double integral dxdy. That did slip my mind for a sec there.

Though if you just integrate r, you wont get the right answer regardless so something must be missing?

20. Feb 14, 2013 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you think the right answer is pi*a*b/2, no, you won't get that. You'll get the correct answer pi*a*b.

21. Feb 14, 2013 #20

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hmm... perhaps my prof and taylor & mann have deceived me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook