1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of Region Vector Calculus

1. Oct 8, 2016 #1
    • Originally posted in a technical math section, so no template
    I have tried to apply greens theorem with P(x,y)=-y and Q(x,y)=x, and gotten ∫ F • ds = 2*Area(D), where F(x,y)=(P,Q) ===> Area(D) = 1/2 ∫ F • ds = 1/2 ∫ (-y,x) • n ds . This is pretty much the most common approach to an area of region problem. But here they ask you to prove this bizarre relation of Area(D) = 1/2 ∫ F • ds = ∫ (x,y) • n ds. I am clueless what to do.

Without a good understanding of part (a) of the question, I don't know how to approach (b) at all. I know the parameterisation could be x=acost , y=bsint, 0≤b≤2π. It seems easy but I am in desperate need of some guidance.

Thanks heaps for helping!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a very short line segment from ##(x_0,y_0)## to ##(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0 + \Delta y)## on the curve ##C##, what would be the normal ##\vec{n}## in terms of ##x_0, y_0, \Delta x, \Delta y##? If ##\Delta s ## is the distance from ##(x_0,y_0)## to ##(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0 + \Delta y)##, what would be the value of ##(x,y) \cdot \vec{n} \Delta s##? If the origin (0,0) is in the interior of the region ##D##, what would you get if you summed over all those small increments like those you just computed above?

Finally, what happens if (0,0) is exterior to ##D##?

4. Oct 9, 2016 #3
    n = (dy/ds, −dx/ds) I guess?

5. Oct 9, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not just ##\vec{n} = (\Delta y, -\Delta dx) / \sqrt{\Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2}##? (That is, if you want a unit normal!)

6. Oct 9, 2016 #5
    I think ds is equivalent to sqrt(dx +dy)?

7. Oct 10, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No; it is ##\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted