Area of simple curve bounded by

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a curve, specifically 2/sqrt(x) bounded by x = 0, y = 3, y = 1. The person attempted to solve the problem using both vertical and horizontal elements, but got different answers than the textbook's answer of 3. After receiving help, they realized their textbook was incorrect and the correct answer is 2 and 2/3.
Dumbledore

Homework Statement

Find the area of the curve 2/sqrt(x) bounded by x = 0, y = 3, y = 1

Homework Equations

The textbook claims the answer is 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried both vertical and horizontal elements, but got different answers than 3.

Here's my attempt at vertical elements:

since y = 1 is the farthest right value of x, I solve 1 = 2/sqrt(x) for X to find x upper, which is 4.

Now I form my integral: integral(4-0) of 2/sqrt(x) (dx)

Integrate: 4 * sqrt(x)

Solve the definite integral: (4 * sqrt(4)) - (4 * sqrt(0)) = 8

What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
When y= 3, x= 4/9. But your left boundary is x= 0 so you have the lines y= 1 and y= 3 as upper and lower bounds until x= 4/9. The area is
[tex]\int_0^{4/9} (3-1)dx+ \int_{4/9}^4 2/\sqrt{x}dx[/tex]

What did you get when you integrated with respect to y?

Thanks I finally understand why I have to use two integrals to figure out this question if I use verticle elements.

For horizontal elements, I did this:

Integral(3-1): (4/y^2) (dy)

Integrate: -4 * y^(-1)

Solve: -4*(1/3) - (-4)(1)

Equals: 2 and 2/3

What did I do wrong this time?

Nothing. Unless you have stated the problem incorrectly, that is the correct answer.

My textbook is incorrect as I suspected. It claims the answer is 3.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a simple curve bounded by two points?

The formula for finding the area of a simple curve bounded by two points is the definite integral of the function that represents the curve. It can be written as ∫ab f(x) dx, where a and b are the two points that bound the curve and f(x) is the function that represents the curve.

2. How do you determine the bounds of the curve when finding the area?

The bounds of the curve can be determined by identifying the x-values of the two points that bound the curve. These x-values will be used as the limits of the definite integral when finding the area.

3. Can the area of a simple curve bounded by two points be negative?

No, the area of a simple curve bounded by two points cannot be negative. The definite integral only calculates the area of the region above the x-axis. If the curve dips below the x-axis, the area will be subtracted from the total.

4. What if the curve is not a simple curve with only one peak or valley?

If the curve is not a simple curve, meaning it has multiple peaks or valleys, the area between the curve and the x-axis can still be calculated by breaking the curve into smaller, simpler curves and finding the area for each section. The total area will be the sum of the areas for each section.

5. Does the shape of the curve affect the calculation of the area?

Yes, the shape of the curve does affect the calculation of the area. The function that represents the curve will determine the shape of the curve and ultimately, the area. Different functions will result in different shapes and therefore, different areas.