1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area - Riemann Sum/Integration problem

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1
    This problem is in the section of my book called "The Natural Logarithmic Function" so I am guessing that I would have to use a natural log somewhere...but anyways...the problem says:

For what values of [tex]m[/tex] do the line [tex]y=mx[/tex] and the curve [tex]y=\frac{x}{(x^2+1)}[/tex] enclose a region? Find the area of the region.

For some reason...I related this problem to an optimization problem because I thought if I could find the line with the greatest slope that is tangent to the curve, then I would know the values for which [tex]m[/tex] can be used with...but that didn't seem to use any natural logs or anything..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

It may be a good idea to find the intersection points. If there aren't any intersection points, there's no enclosed region.
    It can also be useful to graph the problem for a few values of m, this gives you a better insight in the question.

4. Jan 13, 2006 #3
    Well, from graphing the problem...it seems like [tex]y=x[/tex] may be the right bound of the interval for which [tex]y=mx[/tex] and the curve enclose a region...but I would need to show a calculation for this...

I tried: [tex]mx= \frac{x}{(x^2+1)} m=\frac{1}{x^2+1}[/tex] but that only gives me the same equation of the curve or perhaps it gives me the equation for the bounds of the interval for which [tex]m[/tex] can be used with..

Seems like [tex]m[/tex] would belong to [tex][0,1)[/tex]...

5. Jan 13, 2006 #4

TD

Homework Helper

I think you're on the right track:

[tex]m = \frac{1}
    {{x^2 + 1}} \Leftrightarrow m\left( {x^2 + 1} \right) = 1 \Leftrightarrow mx^2 + m - 1 = 0[/tex]

Now, solving this would give the intersection points (which you'll be needing for you integration limits, I assume), but for the moment we're only interested in when there are solutions (i.e. when they intersect and thus enclose a region). You can express this by saying that the discriminant of this quadratic equation in x has to be positive, this will give a condition on m.

6. Jan 14, 2006 #5
    Ahh....well, sorry to say this but I am still somewhat confused as to how that equation would be solved...two variables...need to solve for [tex]m[/tex] but that would just give us [tex]\frac{1}{x^2+1}[/tex] ... hmmm...

7. Jan 14, 2006 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the the straight line [tex] y=mx [/tex] and the curve [tex] y=\frac{x}{x^2+1} [/tex] to enclose some finite region, there should be atleast 2 points of intersection.
    One point is (0,0). To find the other points, you need to solve
    [tex] mx^2 + m -1 =0 [/tex].
    So for what values of 'm' does a solution to the above equation exist? That will give you the values of 'm' for which a region is enclosed.
    To find the area, find the points of intersection in terms of 'm'. You don't need to solve for both the variables, you only need to find x in terms of 'm'.

8. Jan 14, 2006 #7
    Ohhhhhh, now I understand. I had understood the part about the 2 points of intersection but was trying to figure out which variable we solve that equation for and I now realize that we find the point on the curve using the intersecting line...which is why we solve for the x in terms of m. I got it, hehe.

so to continue...I would then continue to do:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{\frac{1-m}{m}}} (\frac{x}{x^2+1}-mx)dx[/tex]

Is this right?..m would also be a constant, right?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  9. Jan 14, 2006 #8

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that is almost right. What about the other point of intersection (ie, [itex]-\sqrt\frac{1-m}{m} [/itex]? so the area will be twice your integral.

10. Apr 10, 2008 #9
    With:
    [tex] mx^2 + m -1 =0 [/tex]

How can I solve for m?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?