Argument value in complex numbers in polar form.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle for the complex number -1-√3i on the complex plane. After considering its position in the third quadrant, using trigonometric functions, and comparing to a solution manual, it is determined that the correct angle is 240 degrees.
kayanian
-1-(under root)3 i
here we find that
r=2(hypotenuse)
a=-1(base)
b=-(under root)3

when i take sin theat= p/h=-(under root)3 / 2
theat from sin is -60

when i take cos theta = b/h =-1 / 2
which gives 120

now one is -60 and other is 120, which is the angel , i have to follow and what do i add it to?

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about where [itex]-1- \sqrt{3}i[/itex] is on the complex plane. It has negative real part and negative imaginary part so it is in the third quadrant. Neither -60 or 120 degrees is in the third quadrant- they are both wrong.

tan(theta)= -sqrt{3}/-1= sqrt(3) gives theta= 60 degrees but since this number is in the third quadrant, theta= 180+ 60= 240 degrees.

cos(240)= -1/2 and sin(210)= -sqrt(3)/2.

HallsofIvy said:
Think about where [itex]-1- \sqrt{3}i[/itex] is on the complex plane. It has negative real part and negative imaginary part so it is in the third quadrant. Neither -60 or 120 degrees is in the third quadrant- they are both wrong.

tan(theta)= -sqrt{3}/-1= sqrt(3) gives theta= 60 degrees but since this number is in the third quadrant, theta= 180+ 60= 240 degrees.

cos(240)= -1/2 and sin(210)= -sqrt(3)/2.

So the answer is :

2{cos 120+ i sin 120)
= 2 cis 120
??

but my solution manual gave me this answer

2 Cis 210
which i myself think is wrong

the table of cos and sin positive value is also used if i m right.and when cos and sin are yielding different results, we go to tangent.ok i get it now but i m lil confused because my solution manual gave wrong answer so please confirm.

Attachments

• abc1.jpeg
    abc1.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 445
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 414
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 366
2cis210 is incorrect. As HallsofIvy mentioned the correct argument is 240.

--Elucidus

1. What is the argument value in complex numbers in polar form?

The argument value in complex numbers in polar form refers to the angle between the positive real axis and the complex number in the polar coordinate plane.

2. How is the argument value calculated in polar form?

The argument value can be calculated by taking the inverse tangent of the imaginary component divided by the real component of the complex number. This can also be expressed as arctan(b/a) where a is the real component and b is the imaginary component.

3. Why is the argument value important in polar form?

The argument value is important as it helps to locate the complex number in the polar coordinate plane and provides information about its direction and magnitude.

4. Can the argument value be negative in polar form?

Yes, the argument value can be negative in polar form as it represents an angle and can be measured in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.

5. What is the range of values for the argument value in polar form?

The range of values for the argument value is from -π to π radians or from -180 to 180 degrees.