How many hours does it take to fill a 16m x 7m x 7m tank with water?

You're welcome!Yes, one cubic metre is one thousand litre. So your answer is correct (at least the number of hours).In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of hours necessary to fill a rectangular tank with dimensions 16m x 7m x 7m. The tank is being filled with water at a rate of 150 litres during the first hour, 350 litres during the second hour, and 550 litres during the third hour. Using the equations for arithmetic progression and the sum of a series, the sum of the litres needed to fill the tank is calculated to be 784,000 litres. By substituting known values into the equations and solving a quadratic equation, the number of hours needed to
mister_tom

Homework Statement

water fills a tank at a rate of 150 litres during the first hour, 350 litres during the second hour, 550 litres during the 3rd hour and so on. find the number of hours neccesary to fill a rectangular tank 16m x 7m x7m

Homework Equations

l=a+(n-1)d

S= n/2 (a+l)

where:

l = term
a = first no in series
n = nth term
d = common difference
S = sum

The Attempt at a Solution

volume of tank = 784

although it doesn't say i assumed 1m(3) is equal to 1000kg = 1000 litres

therefore water required to fill tank = 784,000 litres

a = 150

d = 200

what i don't understand is in either equation given for arithmetic progression there are 2 unknows?the answer is 88.3 hours

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have 2 equations in 2 unknowns. Do you know how to solve a system of equations?

thrill3rnit3 said:
You have 2 equations in 2 unknowns. Do you know how to solve a system of equations?

not entirely, i attempted to replaced l in the 2nd equation to the answer for l in the first to give:

S= n/2 (a+(a+(n-1)d))

but i couldn't seem to get a decent answer from that

Substitute for a and d, which you know, and try a few value of n.

mister_tom said:
not entirely, i attempted to replaced l in the 2nd equation to the answer for l in the first to give:

S= n/2 (a+(a+(n-1)d))

but i couldn't seem to get a decent answer from that

You know a (first term), d (common difference), and S (sum, which is 784,000).

You're left with 1 variable, n, which is exactly what you're trying to find (number of terms/hours)

Mark44 said:
Substitute for a and d, which you know, and try a few value of n.

i don't understand sorry, why would i need to substitute values that i already know?

thrill3rnit3 said:
You know a (first term), d (common difference), and S (sum, which is 784,000).

You're left with 1 variable, n, which is exactly what you're trying to find (number of terms/hours)

the problem I am having now is although there's only 1 variable (n) there's 2 of them, and i need to get only 1 for the answer.

this is what i tryed:

S= n/2 (a+(a+(n-1)d))
2S = n (150+(150+(n-1)200))
2S = n (150+150+200n-200)
2S = n (150+(200n-50)
2S = n (100+350n)
2S = 100n+350n2

not sure if this is the right method or if it is where to go from here?

S is the sum of the series, so it's 150+350+550+...

It should total what is necessary to fill the container tank, right? So what do we substitute for S?

mister_tom said:
the problem I am having now is although there's only 1 variable (n) there's 2 of them, and i need to get only 1 for the answer.

this is what i tryed:

S= n/2 (a+(a+(n-1)d))
2S = n (150+(150+(n-1)200))
2S = n (150+150+200n-200)
2S = n (150+(200n-50)
Mistake in line below.
mister_tom said:
2S = n (100+350n)
2S = 100n+350n2

not sure if this is the right method or if it is where to go from here?
This is the right way, but you have a mistake, noted above.

You know S, so what you have (when you fix the error) is a quadratic equation in n. Hopefully, you know how to solve quadratic equations.

ahhh brilliant thanks guys.

changing my mistake i get:

2 * 784000 = 250n + 200n2

giving:

0 = 200n2 + 250n - 1568000

then applying to a quadratic equation i get 87.921, not quite 88.3 but then I am assuming that 1 cubic metre of water = 1000 litres.

thanks again that confused me a lot more than it should have

mister_tom said:
ahhh brilliant thanks guys.

changing my mistake i get:

2 * 784000 = 250n + 200n2
Looks like what you did is change to a different mistake.

This line looks fine (except for missing right parenthesis)
2S = n (150+(200n-50)
You need only one pair of parentheses, like so:
2S = n (150+ 200n-50)
mister_tom said:
giving:

0 = 200n2 + 250n - 1568000

then applying to a quadratic equation i get 87.921, not quite 88.3 but then I am assuming that 1 cubic metre of water = 1000 litres.

thanks again that confused me a lot more than it should have

What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers where the difference between any two consecutive numbers is constant. This difference is called the common difference.

How is the common difference calculated in an arithmetic progression?

The common difference in an arithmetic progression is calculated by subtracting any two consecutive numbers in the sequence. It remains constant throughout the progression.

What is the formula for finding the nth term in an arithmetic progression?

The formula for finding the nth term in an arithmetic progression is an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

How can you determine if a sequence is an arithmetic progression?

A sequence is an arithmetic progression if the difference between any two consecutive terms is constant. This means that the sequence will follow a specific pattern, where each term can be calculated by adding the common difference to the previous term.

What are the practical applications of arithmetic progression?

Arithmetic progression is used in many real-world situations, such as calculating interest rates, determining the depreciation of assets, and predicting future population growth. It is also used in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and economics.