What Makes Art Appreciation So Subjective?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Art
In summary, the conversation revolved around various forms of art and personal preferences. Some participants shared their love for abstract and surreal art, while others mentioned specific artists such as Picasso and Dali. A picture of Picasso's Enamel Saucepan was posted, as well as other works of art including Salvador Dali's Dissemination of Time and The Temptation of St. Anthony. The conversation also touched on sculpture and a specific exhibition featuring Dali's sculptures. One participant also shared their appreciation for artist Peter Blume, and posted a picture of his work. The conversation ended with a mention of a picture that reminded one participant of childhood memories.
eNtRopY
Perhaps it's simply the asthetic that attracts my attention, but I've always held a certain fondness for the simplisitc beauty of Picasso's Enamel Saucepan.

http://www.kinneret.co.il/afikim/picasso/yom0.files/image004.jpg [Broken]

Post an image (of reasonable kByte-size) of something you appreciate.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ah, how do you attach a picture?

Last edited:
http://unit.bjork.com/specials/pics/videostills/isobel/Volumen-Isobel-017.JPG

Picasso is nice.

I love fine art - however my true taste lies in the extremely abstract art. Some geometric art, but mostly truly fluid art. That's what gets me the most.

I was in Edinburgh Scotland (sp?) for one day a few years ago and of that one day I was given fifteen minutes to go through the Art Museum in that city. The tour guide told us we should see the sculpture "The Three Graces."

I'm not a big Sculpture fan, but I thought okay, I'll check it out. I walked in and ahead of me, in one gallery of that museum, I saw one of Rembrandt's mature self portraits! I rushed into the room and on another wall was a landscape by John Constable, and on another wall was a large El Greco Religious painting and on the wall behind me was a Rubens Mythology painting.

Four of my favorite painters' favorite paintings in one room!

I ran through the rest of that building and did the entire place in just over the alotted 15 minutes.

It is a nice Picasso, eNtRopY, simple and bold.

salvidor dali's Dissemination Of Time, is my all time favorite, runner up is The Temptation Of St' Anthony also by dali.

sorry no pic to attach youll have to try and find it on the net somewhere.

oh ja dali is the best! i am a big fan of temtation of anthony as well. went to a dali sculpture exhibition last year which was soo good. i would never have thought sculptures would be that great, really, but they were so moving i don't understand why. but i was just transfixed, i wanted to actually go up to one and hug it, mother it or something. ahha found it, you can't really get a sense of it in a photo but it's just so...existentially agsty

Attachments

• dali sculpture.jpg
    dali sculpture.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 429
whoops

http://www.artnowgallery.nu/dali_sculptures1.htm [Broken]

Originally posted by drdeath
salvidor dali's Dissemination Of Time, is my all time favorite, runner up is The Temptation Of St' Anthony also by dali.

sorry no pic to attach youll have to try and find it on the net somewhere.

You guys would probably like an artist named Peter Blume. Also a Surrealist.

http://www.famousartreproductions.com/blumerocklarge.jpg

humm not bad, but not quite a ssurreal as dalis work though is it. i have to say that my favorites are always the really surreal stuff with the hidden and subtle meanings

it says a certian je ne sa qua...yea i sounded most of that out but...http://www.barmirrors.com/images/twos/7dogs2.jpg [Broken]
What twisted bastard came up with this it is an egnima wrapped in a pardox dip in choclate and sprikled with confectioner sugar...of question

7dogs instantly transports me back to a kid's saturday morning haircuts at the neighborhood barber shop, with ****kicker music (full of steel guitar) oozing out of the old table radio. This picture hung serenely on the wall and it always transfixed me throughout the whole clip (,accompanied by "ya broke ma heart in two...").

From Robert Venosa

www.ayahuasca-healing.net/images/astral_circus.jpg[/URL]

Was at the tate modern in london the other day and never seen so much bull**** (at least it made me laugh) maybe I am just a philistine, but I like the stuff above even though I think the moving 2d picture is a better medium and 3d even better.

1. What is art appreciation?

Art appreciation is the understanding and enjoyment of art, whether it be paintings, sculptures, music, literature, or any other form of creative expression. It involves recognizing and interpreting the meaning, emotions, and techniques used by the artist to create the artwork.

2. Why is art appreciation important?

Art appreciation is important because it allows us to connect with the world around us in a deeper and more meaningful way. It helps us to develop critical thinking skills, empathy, and cultural understanding. Art also has the power to inspire and provoke thought, making it an essential aspect of human expression and communication.

3. How can one learn to appreciate art?

There are many ways to learn to appreciate art, such as attending art exhibitions, reading about different art movements and styles, and discussing art with others. However, the most important aspect of learning to appreciate art is to approach it with an open mind and a willingness to explore different perspectives and interpretations.

4. What are some tips for developing art appreciation?

Some tips for developing art appreciation include practicing observation and reflection, studying the history and context of the artwork, and learning about the techniques and materials used by the artist. It can also be helpful to seek out diverse forms of art and to engage in discussions and critiques with others.

5. Can art appreciation be subjective?

Yes, art appreciation can be subjective as it is influenced by personal experiences, emotions, and individual perspectives. What one person may find beautiful and meaningful, another may not. However, by learning about the artist's intentions and the historical and cultural context of the artwork, one can develop a more informed and objective appreciation of art.