As 𝜶 varies in ℝ, study the behaviour of this series

In summary, the series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {(sin 𝜶)^n}{2n}## can be analyzed using the root test. If ##|\sin(\alpha)| < 1##, the series is convergent. If ##\sin(\alpha) = 1##, the series is convergent as ##\frac{1}{n}##. If ##\sin(\alpha) = -1##, the series is not absolutely convergent but it converges by the Leibniz test.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
As 𝜶 varies in ℝ study the behaviour of the series
##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {(sin 𝜶)^n}{2n} ##
Relevant Equations
series tests

I apply the root test and i get

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {sin 𝜶}{2n^\frac 1 n} ##

at this point i don't know how to treat the denominator.

Physics news on Phys.org
DottZakapa said:
Homework Statement:: As 𝜶 varies in ℝ study the behaviour of the series
Homework Equations:: series tests
##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {(sin \alpha)^n}{2n} ##
DottZakapa said:
I apply the root test and i get

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {sin 𝜶}{2n^\frac 1 n} ##
The denominator would be ##\sqrt[n]{2n}##, or ##(2n)^{1/n}##, which is different from what you have.
DottZakapa said:
at this point i don't know how to treat the denominator.
One thing to keep in mind is that for any ##\alpha, -1 \le \sin(\alpha) \le 1##. Also, can you evaluate this limit? ##\lim_{n \to \infty} n^{1/n}##?

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
The denominator would be ##\sqrt[n]{2n}##, which is different from what you have.
sorry just a typing mistake i meant ##\left (2n \right)^\left (\frac 1 n \right )## guess is the same as ##\sqrt[n]{2n}##

I did

## \left|\sin \alpha \right |\leq 1##

then i guess i should divide both sides by
##\sqrt[n]{2n}##

## \frac {\left|\sin \alpha \right |} {\sqrt[n]{2n}} \leq \frac 1 {\sqrt[n]{2n}}##

then i am stuck

Since ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt[n]{2n} = 1##, the root test is no help, so I would try another test, such as the following.
  • Ratio test
  • Comparison test
  • Limit comparison test
  • n-th term test for divergence
  • Alternating series test
Also, keep in mind that ##\alpha## is fixed, so for some values of it, the series is alternating.

Mark44 said:
Since ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt[n]{2n} = 1##, the root test is no help, so I would try another test, such as the following.
  • Ratio test
  • Comparison test
  • Limit comparison test
  • n-th term test for divergence
  • Alternating series test
Also, keep in mind that ##\alpha## is fixed, so for some values of it, the series is alternating.

in the solution of the exercise uses the root test

with this conclusions

- if ## \left|sin \alpha \right |\lt 1## the series converges
-if ##\sin\alpha##=1 the series is the divergent series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {1} {2n}##
- if ##\sin\alpha##=-1 we get the convergent ,not absolutely convergent series## \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {1} {2n}##

but I'm not understanding it

DottZakapa said:
in the solution of the exercise uses the root test

with this conclusions

- if ## \left|sin \alpha \right |\lt 1## the series converges
For ##|\sin(\alpha)| < 1##, what is the value of the limit ##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac {\sin(\alpha)}{(2n)^{1/n}}##? Under what conditions does the root test say a series converges?
DottZakapa said:
-if ##\sin\alpha##=1 the series is the divergent series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {1} {2n}##
This should be pretty clear.
DottZakapa said:
- if ##\sin\alpha##=-1 we get the convergent ,not absolutely convergent series## \sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {1} {2n}##
This should be almost as clear. If ##\sin(\alpha) = -1##, the series is alternating. Can you determine that the alternating series converges?
DottZakapa said:
but I'm not understanding it

Mark44 said:
For ##|\sin(\alpha)| < 1##, what is the value of the limit ##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac {\sin(\alpha)}{(2n)^{1/n}}##? Under what conditions does the root test say a series converges?
This should be pretty clear.
This should be almost as clear. If ##\sin(\alpha) = -1##, the series is alternating. Can you determine that the alternating series converges?
where is the 1/n gone?
##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac {\sin(\alpha)}{(2n)^{1/n}}## I am not understanding the behaviour of the limit at the denominator.

DottZakapa said:
where is the 1/n gone?
Look at the original series -- ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {(sin 𝜶)^n}{2n} ##.
What do you have if ##\sin(\alpha) = 1##? What is ##\sin^2(\alpha)##? ##\sin^3(\alpha)##? Etc.

DottZakapa said:
where is the 1/n gone?
##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac {\sin(\alpha)}{(2n)^{1/n}}## I am not understanding the behaviour of the limit at the denominator.
I might understood
so

for ##|\sin\alpha|##<1 ##\Rightarrow ## ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {|\sin\alpha|^n}{2n} ##, by the root test

##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {|\sin\alpha|}{\sqrt[n]2n} ~\Rightarrow~\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac
{|\sin\alpha|} {e^0}~=\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {|\sin\alpha|} {1}~=|\sin\alpha|<1~##hence convergent.

then

supposing ##\sin \alpha=1## the series becomes##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {1}{2n}~\Rightarrow ## convergent as ##\frac 1 {n}##

and

if ##\sin \alpha=-1## the series becomes##\sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {1}{2n}~\Rightarrow \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left| \frac {1}{2n}\right|~\Rightarrow ## divergent, hence not absolutely convergent, but, by leibniz test it converges

Did I get the reasoning correctly?

DottZakapa said:
I might understood
so

for ##|\sin\alpha|##<1 ##\Rightarrow ## ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {|\sin\alpha|^n}{2n} ##, by the root test

##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {|\sin\alpha|}{\sqrt[n]2n} ~\Rightarrow~\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac
{|\sin\alpha|} {e^0}~=\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {|\sin\alpha|} {1}~=|\sin\alpha|<1~##hence convergent.
Your reasoning is correct, but you are misusing the implication symbol. This symbol (##\rightarrow##k) should be used between statements such as equations or inequalities.
For example, ##x = 2 \Rightarrow x^2 = 4##. It should not be used between expressions such as what you wrote above:
{|\sin\alpha|} {e^0}##
In fact, these two expressions shouldn't be connected at all. You're investigating the series by looking at the limit.
DottZakapa said:
then

supposing ##\sin \alpha=1## the series becomes##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac {1}{2n}~\Rightarrow ## convergent as ##\frac 1 {n}##
No. The harmonic series, ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac 1 n## is divergent. The same is true for ##\sum \frac 1 {2n}##, which can be shown by using the Limit Comparison Test or maybe the Ratio Test.
DottZakapa said:
and

if ##\sin \alpha=-1## the series becomes##\sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^n \frac {1}{2n}~\Rightarrow \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left| \frac {1}{2n}\right|~\Rightarrow ## divergent, hence not absolutely convergent, but, by leibniz test it converges
Your conclusion here is correct, but your work is a bit confusing, as it implies that the alternating series is divergent. ##\sum (-1)^n \frac 1 {2n}## is convergent but not absolutely convergent.
DottZakapa said:
Did I get the reasoning correctly?

Last edited:
Likes DottZakapa
Now is all clear, thank you for being so patient.

1. What is the value of 𝜶 in this series?

The value of 𝜶 varies in ℝ, which means it can take on any real number. The specific value of 𝜶 in this series would need to be given in order to study its behavior.

2. How does the series change as 𝜶 increases or decreases?

The behavior of the series will change as 𝜶 increases or decreases. For example, the series may converge or diverge depending on the value of 𝜶. Further analysis or calculations would be needed to determine the exact behavior of the series as 𝜶 varies in ℝ.

3. Is there a specific range of values for 𝜶 that will result in convergence?

It is not possible to determine a specific range of values for 𝜶 that will always result in convergence. The behavior of the series will depend on other factors such as the specific terms in the series and the limit of the series as 𝜶 approaches infinity.

4. How does the behavior of this series compare to other series with varying 𝜶 values?

The behavior of this series with varying 𝜶 values may be similar or different to other series, depending on the specific terms and values involved. Comparing this series to other series with varying 𝜶 values may provide insight into its behavior, but further analysis would be needed to draw any conclusions.

5. Is there a specific pattern or trend in the behavior of this series as 𝜶 varies in ℝ?

It is difficult to determine a specific pattern or trend in the behavior of this series as 𝜶 varies in ℝ without more information. The behavior of the series may depend on the specific terms and values involved, and may not follow a predictable pattern. Further analysis or calculations would be needed to determine any patterns or trends.