What is the area of the region bounded by the given curves and lines?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Monoxdifly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: The reason why it works this way is because we're looking at the distance between two curves in the vertical direction (since the $x$-axis is the vertical axis in this case), so we need to subtract the bottom curve from the top curve to get that distance. In summary, the area of the given region is 18 units.
Monoxdifly
MHB
The area of the region \(\displaystyle y=-x^2+6x\), \(\displaystyle y=x^2-2x\), Y-axis, and the line x = 3 is ...
A. 16 unit area
B. 18 unit area
C. \(\displaystyle \frac{64}{3}\) unit area
D. 64 unit area
E. 72 unit area

Sorry I couldn't post the graph, but I interpreted it as \(\displaystyle \int_0^3(-x^2+6x-x^2+2x)dx-\int_0^2(x^2-2x)dx\) and got \(\displaystyle \frac{31}{3}\). Did I misinterpret the graph?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's first look at the bounded region:

View attachment 7972

And so the area is:

\(\displaystyle A=\int_0^3 (-x^2+6x)-(x^2-2x)\,dx=2\int_0^3 -x^2+4x\,dx=2\left[-\frac{x^3}{3}+2x^2\right]_0^3=2(18-9)=18\)

I don't see where your second integral comes from, but the first one (on the left) is correct.

Attachments

• monox_001.png
    monox_001.png
    6 KB · Views: 58
My second integral came from the area under the X-region.

Monoxdifly said:
My second integral came from the area under the X-region.

That's already included in the "top curve minus the bottom curve." :)

Why, though? I thought the region below the X-axis should be negative integral.

Monoxdifly said:
Why, though? I thought the region below the X-axis should be negative integral.

You're being asked to find an area, and in essence, you're doing so by adding up a bunch of vertical lines, the length of which are determined by the distance from the top curve to the bottom curve. This is found by taking the $y$-coordinate of the top curve and subtracting the $y$-coordinate of the bottom curve.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to find the area of irregular shapes and to solve problems in calculus.

Why is an integral important?

Integrals are important because they allow us to find the area under a curve, which is useful in many real-world applications such as calculating volumes, distances, and probabilities.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning the area under the curve is being calculated between two points. An indefinite integral does not have specific limits and represents the general antiderivative of a function.

How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It also helps to have a good understanding of the fundamental theorem of calculus.

What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to calculate volumes of irregular shapes, determine work done by a force, find the center of mass of an object, and model the growth of populations.