1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astro degree, should I?

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    Here is the situation, I am a mathematics major currently, and am just about to start taking more advanced level math courses (e.g. topology and other 500 levels etc.). However, I have put off physics for so long that if I did take a physics course, it would have to be 116 (basic calc. based). A few months ago, this wouldn't have bothered me, because I wasn't even considering adding astronomy. However, recently I got really into astronomy (observing with a cheap pair of binoculars) and have taken a 101 course. Unfortunately, the next course up is a 491 course; I asked the teacher, and he said that since I have the mathematical background I would be in a good position to work towards taking this course. However, I would have to take physics up to 301 (mechanics or something like that) This immediately brought back bad memories of high school physics and why I haven't taken a course since. I am very motivated,however, by the prospect of being able to do some research( which he stated was an option). I am also, however, a sophomore, and as such, time is very short. I have been taking 2 math courses per semester, but to get up to 301 in time, there would be 1 semester in which I would have to take 3 physics courses. My question: does anyone have experience with changing interests (note that I am not changing majors, my heart will always belong to math) on a short time schedule? Does this usually work out (has anyone taken more of a certain course outside thaier major than in their major in one semester e.g. 3 english courses in one sem. with a geology major)? Would it be worth it to risk graduation by 1 semester? Thirdly, if I am interested, is it possible to have a basic understanding of physics and then serve as a mathematician under an astrophysics department rather than actually becoming an astrophysicist?
    I wish I had known about this earlier, but hindsight is 20/20.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted