Astronomy - Star Catalogue

In summary, the conversation revolved around the need to access a star catalogue on the internet that can provide information on the distance and mass of stars. The purpose of this is to locate a high-mass star close to Earth that could potentially become a supernova. The conversation also discussed the availability of online star catalogues and the ease of accessing them.
dekoi
I need to access a star catalogue on the internet that will tell me the distance of the stars from earth, as well as the mass of the stars.

I need to "find" 2 stars:
approx. 346.7 pc from Earth
approx. 0.4786 pc from Earth

I realize that there may be none. However, the point of the assignment is to find these values for a supernova, and then determine whether there is ACTUALLY a high-mass star that close to Earth that can one day explode as a supernova.

Thank you for any help you can provide-- whether you know the answer, or you know of a catalogue of the type specified.

Physics news on Phys.org
You get distances from almost any decent catalog, e.g. Hipparcos. I don't know of any catalogs which directly include mass, since mass is a relatively challenging quantity that cannot be determined (as of yet) by a highly-automated satellite observatory.

Here's a good list of the most common star catalogs:

http://ad.usno.navy.mil/star/star_cats_rec.shtml

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an on-line catalogue? I don't think those are on-line.

Thanks.

Almost every catalog listed there is available in its entirety online, as they were created with public funds and are considered public information. Most of them even have online search tools, publicly available.

Come on, dekoi. Read the page. Click the links. Use google.

- Warren

What is a star catalogue?

A star catalogue is a list or database of stars, typically organized by their coordinates and other characteristics such as magnitude and spectral type. It serves as a reference for identifying and studying stars in the night sky.

How many stars are included in the current star catalogue?

The number of stars included in a star catalogue varies depending on its purpose and the technology used to create it. For example, the Hipparcos Catalogue, which was a satellite-based survey, contains data on over 118,000 stars. However, there are estimated to be over 100 billion stars in our own Milky Way galaxy alone, so it is impossible to catalog all of them.

Who creates and maintains star catalogues?

Star catalogues are created and maintained by various organizations and institutions, such as universities, observatories, and space agencies. Some are also compiled by amateur astronomers and citizen scientists. The International Astronomical Union (IAU) is responsible for standardizing and updating star names and designations.

What is the purpose of a star catalogue?

The main purpose of a star catalogue is to facilitate the identification and study of stars. It allows astronomers to accurately locate and track specific stars, and to compare and analyze their properties. Star catalogues also aid in navigation and celestial mapping.

Can I access and use a star catalogue for my own research?

Many star catalogues are publicly available and can be accessed for research and educational purposes. However, some may have specific usage restrictions, so it is important to check the terms of use before using any data from a star catalogue. Additionally, proper credit and citation should be given to the source of the data.