1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy - Star Catalogue

1. Mar 1, 2006 #1
    I need to access a star catalogue on the internet that will tell me the distance of the stars from earth, as well as the mass of the stars.

I need to "find" 2 stars:
    approx. 346.7 pc from Earth
    approx. 0.4786 pc from Earth

I realize that there may be none. However, the point of the assignment is to find these values for a supernova, and then determine whether there is ACTUALLY a high-mass star that close to Earth that can one day explode as a supernova.

Thank you for any help you can provide-- whether you know the answer, or you know of a catalogue of the type specified.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You get distances from almost any decent catalog, e.g. Hipparcos. I don't know of any catalogs which directly include mass, since mass is a relatively challenging quantity that cannot be determined (as of yet) by a highly-automated satellite observatory.

Here's a good list of the most common star catalogs:

http://ad.usno.navy.mil/star/star_cats_rec.shtml

- Warren

4. Mar 1, 2006 #3
    Is there an on-line catalogue? I don't think those are on-line.

Thanks.

5. Mar 1, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Almost every catalog listed there is available in its entirety online, as they were created with public funds and are considered public information. Most of them even have online search tools, publicly available.

Come on, dekoi. Read the page. Click the links. Use google.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?