1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics: Number of pp-reactions occuring in the Sun

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the number of proton-proton reactions that occur in the Sun each second. For simplicity consider only the energy generation produced by the PPI chain. Consider that the Sun produces its energy in a steady state from the pp chain.

2. Relevant equations
    4H[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]He+2e[itex]^{+}[/itex]+2[itex]\nu_{e}[/itex]+2[itex]\gamma[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{N_{ix}}{\Delta t}[/itex] = n[itex]_{i}[/itex]σv <-- this equation was given in class as the reactions per time.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm pretty sure you need to use the equation that was given in class however I'm not sure. The textbook gives that σ [itex]\propto[/itex] 1/E so would it help to find the energy produced in the PPI chain to find σ? As for n[itex]_{i}[/itex] and v I'm not sure what those are or how to find them.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What you wrote is the sum of multiple reactions, not a single reaction, so it does not have a well-defined cross-section.

You need some data about the sun. One option is the microscopic way - find temperature, density, cross-sections and so on, and calculate the rate. I don't think you are supposed to do that, however. There is also the macroscopic way, where "steady state" comes into play: how much energy does the sun lose due to radiation? What is the energy released per pp-reaction (including follow-up reactions, but excluding neutrinos)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted