How to Calculate Energy Produced from Collision of Particles?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
1missing
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A particle of mass m1 and momentum p1 collides with a particle of mass m2 at rest. A reaction occurs from which two particles of masses m3 and m4 leave the collision along the angles θ3 and θ4 respectively, measured from the original direction of particle 1. Find the energy Q produced by the reaction in terms of the masses of the particles, the angles, and p1.

Homework Equations


pi = pf Conservation of momentum

KEi = KEf + Q Conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution


To be honest I'm having the hardest time just making sense of the problem. I feel like I'm missing something. Do particles 1 and 2 still exist after the collision? Do they rebound? Do they stick together? Does it even matter if I'm just trying to find Q? Really not sure what the heck is going on.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1missing said:
Do particles 1 and 2 still exist after the collision?
If they did, this would be mentioned in the problem statement. Hence, they do not.
 
Yes. You will need it to be able to uniquely identify the energies and momenta of the outgoing particles.
 
I'm assuming it's a classical problem because we haven't done anything relativistic all semester, which leads me to the question of where does m2 enter into the problem? It's at rest, so no initial momentum and no initial kinetic energy, and the particle doesn't exist after the collision, so should I be considering the rest energy of the particles?

Edit: Nevermind, think I solved it without the need for m2.
 
Last edited:
1missing said:
should I be considering the rest energy of the particles?
Yes.
1missing said:
think I solved it without the need for m2.
I don't see how. Please post your working.