At what level will the water settle in this system?

In summary, the water will settle about 10 metres above the spillway of the catch tank. That is the height of a water-filled barometer, a column of water supported by atmospheric pressure with a near vacuum of water vapour above.
mcmpw
TL;DR Summary
starting with all tanks and lines full with water, what level(s) water settle in this system?

each grid is 2 meters.......catch tank is 6 meters deep with open spillway..........inlet from line to "tank a" line is 12 meters above water level in catch tank. blue arrows indicate check valves and flow direction.......pink lines represent sluice valves.......... edit and submit photo representing water levels
asd.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer has not changed.
The water will settle about 10 metres above the spillway of the catch tank. That is the height of a water-filled barometer, a column of water supported by atmospheric pressure with a near vacuum of water vapour above.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Baluncore said:
The answer has not changed.
The water will settle about 10 metres above the spillway of the catch tank. That is the height of a water-filled barometer, a column of water supported by atmospheric pressure with a near vacuum of water vapour above.
all other tanks will drain to the same elevation which will complete drain tanks b and c, while leaving tank d full?

mcmpw said:
all other tanks will drain to the same elevation which will complete drain tanks b and c, while leaving tank d full?
That may be the case. I see no information on the heights of the other tanks.

Baluncore said:
I see no information on the heights of the other tanks.
There is a faint green grid, which looks to be 2 meters per square...

yes each square is 2 meters

mcmpw said:
yes each square is 2 meters
I see no squares on my monitor.
That makes it your problem.

Baluncore said:
I see no squares on my monitor.
I darkened the background grid a bit...

water tanks.jpg

Draw a horizontal line 10 m above the spillway and you have your answer.

Baluncore said:
Note that this is below the highest junction. So do you not get a 10m high column above the spillway in the left hand vertical and a 10m column in the right hand sloped pipes?

Baluncore said:
consindering volumes, molecular weights and tank a pipe junction is approximately 14 meters above catch tank water level?

mcmpw said:
consindering volumes, molecular weights ...
They are irrelevant in this case. Water is still water, and hydrostatic pressure is a simple function of height, not of volume.
mcmpw said:
...and tank a pipe junction is approximately 14 meters above catch tank water level
That makes a slow siphon. After the initial flow, water will evaporate on the high side and condense lower down on the other side. It will take time, but an equilibrium will be reached.

The circuit was clearly designed originally as a potential PMM. As fascinating as you may find it, every PMM must evolve complexity, sufficient to baffle its designer and aficionados. The beauty of engineering and physics is that we can identify and reject the analysis of PMMs.

In a nutshell, it is a useless mechanism, that I do not consider worthy of deeper analysis.

Likes berkeman, Bystander, Motore and 2 others
Baluncore said:
The circuit was clearly designed originally as a potential PMM. As fascinating as you may find it, every PMM must evolve complexity, sufficient to baffle its designer and aficionados. The beauty of engineering and physics is that we can identify and reject the analysis of PMMs.

In a nutshell, it is a useless mechanism, that I do not consider worthy of deeper analysis.
I agree, though the way I'd say it is:
  • Most perpetual motion machines are just complicated enough that the designer can't identify the flaw.
  • Engineers/scientists can easily identify the natural law violation, so they don't need to bother unraveling the complexity of the machine to identify its flaw (if they don't want to). As you said, not worthy of deeper analysis.

Likes berkeman, Bystander, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
Baluncore said:
water will evaporate on the high side and condense lower down on the other side. It will take time, but an equilibrium will be reached
prior natural evaporating and condensing, where water stands in each tank and line?.........and with heavy oil covering, water evaporate or no?

[Mentor Note -- post edited to remove a mild insult]

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
Baluncore said:

Agreed; this thread is done now. @mcmpw -- please do not post again about this here at PF. Thank you.

Likes Bystander and phinds

1. How does the level of water settle in a system?

The level of water in a system is determined by the balance between the amount of water entering the system (such as through precipitation or a water source) and the amount of water leaving the system (such as through evaporation or drainage). When these two factors are equal, the water level will settle at a certain point.

2. What factors can affect the level of water in a system?

The level of water in a system can be affected by a variety of factors, including the amount of precipitation, the rate of evaporation, the presence of water sources or drains, and changes in the topography or landscape of the system.

3. Can the level of water in a system change over time?

Yes, the level of water in a system can change over time as a result of various factors. For example, if there is a period of heavy rainfall, the water level may rise. Conversely, if there is a prolonged period of drought, the water level may decrease. Changes in the surrounding landscape or human activities can also impact the level of water in a system.

4. How can we predict the level of water in a system?

Predicting the level of water in a system can be challenging, as it is influenced by many variables. However, scientists use data and models to make predictions about how changes in precipitation, evaporation, and other factors may affect the water level in a system over time.

5. Why is it important to understand the level of water in a system?

Understanding the level of water in a system is crucial for many reasons. It can help us manage water resources, predict and prepare for potential flooding or drought, and monitor the health of ecosystems that rely on water. It is also essential for making informed decisions about land use and development in areas that may be impacted by changes in water levels.