At what speed is the water in the hose moving?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jtappan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hose Speed Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 18K views
Jtappan
Messages
95
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A nozzle of inner radius 1.03 mm is connected to a hose of inner radius 7.97 mm. The nozzle shoots out water moving at 25.5 m/s.
(a) At what speed is the water in the hose moving?
42.589 cm/s
(b) What is the volume flow rate?
84.989 cm3/s
(c) What is the mass flow rate?
_____g/s

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I have found the speed of the water and the volume flow rate. I do not know how to find the mass flow rate though. Can anyone help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mass flow rate and volume flow rate are connected by the density of water, right? Since that is mass/volume.
 
Part of Bernoulli's Principle is that the mass that leaves the pipe, must be the same as the mass that enters the pipe.
 
I am still confused on how to find this though. do i just multiply by Rho of water?
 
I can't get this one either...i know they are connected by the density but i don't know what to do with the density
 
Mass flow rate = Volumetric flow rate times the fluid's density.

Volumetric flow rate = fluid velocity times the cross-sectional area.
 
ahh i just was not converting right thanks for the help!