At what speed is the water in the hose moving?

In summary, the problem involves a nozzle connected to a hose with a water speed of 25.5 m/s. The speed and volume flow rate have been found, but the mass flow rate is still unknown. To find the mass flow rate, one must use the density of water and the volumetric flow rate. This can be calculated by multiplying the fluid velocity by the cross-sectional area. It is important to note that according to Bernoulli's Principle, the mass that leaves the pipe must be equal to the mass that enters the pipe.
Jtappan

Homework Statement

A nozzle of inner radius 1.03 mm is connected to a hose of inner radius 7.97 mm. The nozzle shoots out water moving at 25.5 m/s.
(a) At what speed is the water in the hose moving?
42.589 cm/s
(b) What is the volume flow rate?
84.989 cm3/s
(c) What is the mass flow rate?
_____g/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the speed of the water and the volume flow rate. I do not know how to find the mass flow rate though. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass flow rate and volume flow rate are connected by the density of water, right? Since that is mass/volume.

Part of Bernoulli's Principle is that the mass that leaves the pipe, must be the same as the mass that enters the pipe.

I am still confused on how to find this though. do i just multiply by Rho of water?

I can't get this one either...i know they are connected by the density but i don't know what to do with the density

Mass flow rate = Volumetric flow rate times the fluid's density.

Volumetric flow rate = fluid velocity times the cross-sectional area.

ahh i just was not converting right thanks for the help!

1. How is the speed of water in a hose measured?

The speed of water in a hose can be measured using a flow rate meter, which calculates the amount of water passing through the hose per unit time.

2. Does the diameter of the hose affect the speed of water?

Yes, the diameter of the hose does affect the speed of water. A larger diameter hose will allow more water to flow through, resulting in a higher speed compared to a smaller diameter hose.

3. Does the pressure of the water source impact the speed of water in the hose?

Yes, the pressure of the water source does impact the speed of water in the hose. Higher water pressure will result in a higher speed of water in the hose.

4. Can the length of the hose affect the speed of water?

Yes, the length of the hose can affect the speed of water. The longer the hose, the more friction and resistance the water will face, resulting in a slower speed compared to a shorter hose.

5. What factors can cause the speed of water in a hose to change?

Several factors can cause the speed of water in a hose to change, such as changes in water pressure, changes in the diameter or length of the hose, and any obstructions or blockages in the hose.