Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ATMega128's ATLM - how should I cope with this?

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1
    Hi. I'm a newcomer to AVR and actually these whole electronics stuff.
    But.. I need to use this for my school work.
    http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/796557659.png?1375531730
    This is the image of my kit's ATLM input. In this formation, I'm trying to add some analog sensors.
    I'm not sure what VCC is, so I'm not sure which leg of the sensors should go to which place.
    Please help this newbie...
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2
    OK well Vcc should denote the operating voltage of the chip, if you want to attach an analong input I would just place it on one of the ATLM pins, for example if you have a potentiometer you would connect one outside pin to the 3.3V connector, and the other outside pin to ground and then the middle pin to one of the ATLM inputs. I could not find any information about "ATLM input" but I assume that it is specific for your schools kit.

4. Aug 8, 2013 #3
    As said before, VCC (Common Voltage) is the operating voltage of the device. You should source the data sheet before continuing your project. Sometimes devices are able to operate within a range of voltage levels (i.e. 8-20V) because of internal voltage clamping - 5V operating voltage is typical. It also appears that VCC is further clamped to a 3.3V output which is nice. 3.3V is often used in logical applications.

The answer seems to have been sufficiently answered already, but it is worth noting that VCC of your device may be different that VCC of your chip - so consider this carefully. Also be aware the the GND connections of each device should be tied together - this is very important to ensure a common reference.
    -Further, a output pin really depends on your method of measuring logic from the analog device. Digital devices are simply HIGH and LOW outputs, so they are easy to deal with. Analog output devices are bit more complicated and require special chips to measure the output. I am not familiar with the above device so I cannot say with confidence exactly how this part should be done in your case. I think the ATMega128 has ADC capabilities but am not certain.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook