I need a single-frame NTSC decoder software

In summary, a software encoder and decoder is needed to validate the output of the software to the NTSC standard. The waveform output of the encoder must be compatible with the NTSC standard to be sure the output is correct.
Ben321
I found this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/software-ntsc-decoding.47403/ , where somebody had a similar requirement, but it's old and locked so I can't post in it. However I really need such software decoder (one that has been verified by engineers intimately familiar with the NTSC standard) as a reference for an NTSC software ENCODER that I'm writing. No single document online has all the NTSC specs, and some websites that have info on it seem to contradict other websites that cover the same info. The result is I've pieced together a piece of software that I believe (but am not 100% sure) creates a single frame as a file, using a standard JPEG image as the source. The output file from my program is a raw data file, consisting of a sequence of 64bit IEEE Double Precision Floating Point data values, which range from -40 to 100 (the valid range of IRE values in the NTSC standard). The final output is a raw waveform of a single frame (vertical and horizontal syncs, and color bursts, and 2 fields, all the stuff that an NTSC frame requires). The sample rate of the synthesized NTSC frame is 13,688,213 Hz, which I chose so that one sample of waveform data corresponds to exactly one pixel of the image. Each sample therefore lasts 7.3055555e-8 seconds.

Remember above I said I BELIEVE that the output is correct to the NTSC standard, but because of difficulty finding the information required, I'm not 100% sure that the saved waveform is actually NTSC compatible. To verify that it does in fact comply with NTSC standard, I will need a DECODER software, that will do with a single frame, what an analog TV hardware would do with an entire stream of frames. I need software that will take in my raw waveform file with 64bit double precision floating point values, and decode an image from it, and display that image on the screen. If such a piece of decoder software successfully decodes my NTSC waveform file, then I will know that my encoder software is correct by the NTSC standard. If such a decoder software displays a distorted image, or has bad color, etc (or doesn't display anything at all), then I will know that there is something wrong with encoder software.

Note that such decoder software to test the file output of my software can't be created like I did of just taking stuff off the net and piecing it together. The decoder software I'm looking for will need to be verified by engineers who are intimately familiar with the NTSC standard, so that I can be 100% certain that I'm actually correctly validating the output of my software. Otherwise, the person who wrote the decoder might have made an equivalent mistake to some mistake I made in writing my encoder, and if the 2 mistakes canceled out, it might display an image, and I would come away with the false conclusion that my software did output a correct NTSC frame.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a single-frame NTSC decoder software?

A single-frame NTSC decoder software is a computer program that is designed to decode the National Television System Committee (NTSC) signal used for analog television broadcasting in North America. It takes the analog video signal and converts it into a digital format that can be displayed on a computer or other digital device.

2. Why do I need a single-frame NTSC decoder software?

If you want to view or analyze analog video content on a digital device, you will need a single-frame NTSC decoder software. This software decodes the analog signal and converts it into a digital format, making it compatible with modern devices that do not have analog inputs.

3. How does a single-frame NTSC decoder software work?

A single-frame NTSC decoder software works by analyzing the analog video signal and separating it into its component parts: luminance (brightness) and chrominance (color). It then converts these signals into a digital format, typically using a process called sampling and quantization, so that it can be displayed on a digital device.

4. Is a single-frame NTSC decoder software the same as a video converter?

No, a single-frame NTSC decoder software is not the same as a video converter. While both can convert analog video signals into a digital format, a video converter typically converts between different digital video formats, while a single-frame NTSC decoder software specifically converts analog NTSC signals into a digital format.

5. Can I use a single-frame NTSC decoder software for other video formats?

No, a single-frame NTSC decoder software is specifically designed to decode analog NTSC signals. It cannot be used for other video formats, such as PAL or SECAM, without additional software or hardware conversion tools.