1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Atomic Spectrum of an Unknown Element

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When an electron drops from the M shell (n = 3) to a vacancy in the K shell (n = 1), the measured wavelength of the emitted x-ray is found to be 0.0897 nm. Identify the element.

2. Relevant equations

E = 1240 / λ
    E = (-13.6 / n^2) * (Zeff^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    According to my homework, the answer is Selenium (atomic number = 34). I initially got that answer by using: (-13.6 / 9) * Z^2 + (13.6 / 1) * Z^2 = 1240 / (.0897). Solving for Z here, I got 33.8.

But I then learned that we are supposed to use Zeff, and not simply Z. I must be misunderstanding something though, because I would then think that the equation would be:

(-13.6 / 9) * (Z - 10)^2 + (13.6 / 1) * Z^2 = 1240 / (.0897)

because there are 10 electrons in the first and second energy levels, so I thought this equation would account for that. But I keep getting a Z value around 32.7 with this which would be in between Germanium and Arsenic.

So what am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2
    The first thing about this problem is : Bohr's theory and his equations are not even valid here. This is not a one-electron system.

As to how one does this, I am guessing Moseley's equation is the most valid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted