Atomic Spectrum of an Unknown Element

In summary, the problem involves an electron dropping from the M shell to a vacancy in the K shell, resulting in an emitted x-ray with a measured wavelength of 0.0897 nm. The element responsible for this emission is Selenium (atomic number = 34). The calculation to determine this involves using Moseley's equation rather than Bohr's equations.
XianForce

Homework Statement

When an electron drops from the M shell (n = 3) to a vacancy in the K shell (n = 1), the measured wavelength of the emitted x-ray is found to be 0.0897 nm. Identify the element.

Homework Equations

E = 1240 / λ
E = (-13.6 / n^2) * (Zeff^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my homework, the answer is Selenium (atomic number = 34). I initially got that answer by using: (-13.6 / 9) * Z^2 + (13.6 / 1) * Z^2 = 1240 / (.0897). Solving for Z here, I got 33.8.

But I then learned that we are supposed to use Zeff, and not simply Z. I must be misunderstanding something though, because I would then think that the equation would be:

(-13.6 / 9) * (Z - 10)^2 + (13.6 / 1) * Z^2 = 1240 / (.0897)

because there are 10 electrons in the first and second energy levels, so I thought this equation would account for that. But I keep getting a Z value around 32.7 with this which would be in between Germanium and Arsenic.

So what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing about this problem is : Bohr's theory and his equations are not even valid here. This is not a one-electron system.

As to how one does this, I am guessing Moseley's equation is the most valid.

1. What is an atomic spectrum?

An atomic spectrum is a unique set of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation that are emitted or absorbed by an element. It is a characteristic pattern that can be used to identify an unknown element.

2. How is the atomic spectrum of an unknown element determined?

The atomic spectrum of an unknown element is determined using a spectrometer, which separates the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by the element. The resulting pattern is compared to known atomic spectra to identify the element.

3. What causes the unique pattern in an atomic spectrum?

The unique pattern in an atomic spectrum is caused by the specific arrangement of electrons in an atom. When an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it emits a specific wavelength of light, resulting in a characteristic pattern.

4. Can the atomic spectrum of an element change?

The atomic spectrum of an element is unique and does not change. However, the intensity of the lines in the spectrum can vary depending on the conditions in which the element is observed.

5. Why is the atomic spectrum of an unknown element important?

The atomic spectrum of an unknown element is important because it can be used to identify the element and provide information about its electronic structure. This can help in understanding the properties and behavior of the element.