Electron energy levels in Bohr model

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for calculating electron energy levels in the Bohr model. The values used in the equation are given, but the result obtained does not match the expected value. It is discovered that the issue lies in incorrectly interpreting the meaning of "e" in the equation. An Excel program is being created to use the formula, but there is a problem with interpreting the data as formulae. The issue is resolved by adding "=" in front of the values and formatting the result cell correctly. The conversation then shifts to discussing how to obtain different values of energy for varying values of "n" using Excel. It is suggested to seek help in a more appropriate forum for Excel-related questions.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

At the bottom of this linked-to screen below is an equation for E = - ... = - .... = - 13.6 Z^2 / n^2 eV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr_model#Electron_energy_levels

Homework Equations

I'm using the following values for the formula

Z=1
n=1
K sub e = 8.987 x 10^9 (Coulombs constant)
e = 2.71828
m sub e = 9.11 x 10^-31 (mass of electron)
h-bar = 1.05 x 10^-34

The Attempt at a Solution

But when I plug these values in I get (4.017x10^-9) / (2.205 x 10^-68) = - 1.82 x 10^59

and not -13.6 eV

What am I doing wrong? Are any of my values above incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have misinterpreted the meaning of e in the equation.

Likes 1 person
Thanks TSny!

I'm trying to write a simple Excel program to allow use of that formula.

I've included my program and the formula in the Excel attachment. Would anyone know why I'm getting the VALUE! message in the A5 box?

Attachments

• Bohr.xlsx
    18.7 KB · Views: 251
Your data values are interpreted as text, not as formulae. Add = in front of them. Also, make sure you format the result cell as a scientific number, otherwise it will just display 0.

Likes 1 person
Thanks voko!

I've attached the updated Excel file again.

The cell A5 displays the value in eV, currently set for n=1.

If I want to obtain the different values of Energy but for each of the values of n between 1 and 10 inclusive, how would I do this?

Attachments

• Bohr.xlsx
    13.2 KB · Views: 230
This question has very little to do with physics and much to do with using Excel. You should be asking in a more appropriate section of the forum.

Your question is very basic. There are probably a lot of online tutorials addressing that.

What is the Bohr model of electron energy levels?

The Bohr model is a simplified representation of the atomic structure proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913. It describes the electron energy levels in an atom as circular orbits around the nucleus, with each orbit having a specific energy level.

How are the energy levels in the Bohr model determined?

The energy levels in the Bohr model are determined by the distance of the electron from the nucleus. The closer the electron is to the nucleus, the lower its energy level, and the farther away it is, the higher its energy level.

What is the significance of the energy levels in the Bohr model?

The energy levels in the Bohr model represent the different amounts of energy that an electron can possess in an atom. When an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it releases energy in the form of light, which is the basis of atomic emission spectra.

Can electrons exist in between energy levels in the Bohr model?

No, according to the Bohr model, electrons can only exist in specific energy levels and cannot exist in between them. This is known as the quantization of energy.

How does the Bohr model explain the stability of atoms?

The Bohr model explains the stability of atoms by proposing that electrons can only exist in specific energy levels and cannot spiral into the nucleus. This means that the electrons are in stable orbits around the nucleus, preventing the atom from collapsing.