1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic structure and determing effective nuclear charge

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The 3s state of Na has an energy of -5.14 eV. Determine the effective nuclear charge.

2. Relevant equations

Zeffective = Z - S (not listed in text book, found this online when trying to figure out the problem)

3. The attempt at a solution

Nothing in the text book in this section talk about determining nuclear charge. I know that Na is in the 2s[tex]^{2}[/tex]2p[tex]^{6}[/tex] group.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

For a hydrogenic atom, what is the expression for the energy-levels in terms of the principle quantum-number?

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3
    I believe that would be 1s

5. Oct 30, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

no. you need an equation that relates energy "E" to the principle quantum number "n". Do you know an equation like that?

6. Nov 8, 2008 #5
    I do now... Even though I read that response too late. The grader of my homework gave me full credit anyways for a sub-par result.... But I appreciate the response because it let me on the right track after the fact!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?