Atoms: Understanding Frequency of Revolution

In summary, the conversation discusses a paragraph about the frequency of electromagnetic waves emitted by revolving electrons. The person reading the topic is confused about the term "frequency of revolution" and asks for clarification. Another person explains that it refers to how many full circles or radians the electron goes per second on a circular orbit. They also mention that this frequency may not be the only one predicted by classical electromagnetism and suggest looking up "synchrotron radiation" for more information.
sahilmm15
So I was reading my topic named "atoms" and got confused at a paragraph. It goes like this.. I encircled the paragraph

when they told " "frequency of electromagnetic waves emitted by the revolving electrons is equal to the frequency of revolution" I got confused at 'frequency of revolution'. What do they mean by this term and 'Frequency of revolution' of what?? And from this if you could give me an insight about the whole paragraph then it would be even better. Thanks!

Attachments

• InkedIMG20201210114905_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG20201210114905_LI.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 148
Physics news on Phys.org
It's assumed that the electron is on a circular orbit, and the frequency of revolution means how many full circles or radians it goes per second. I don't think the radiation predicted by classical EM will be only that one frequency, but most of the radiated energy will be somewhere around that value of ##\nu##. You can Google "synchrotron radiation".

Likes vanhees71
Thanks for the answer!

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the basic unit of matter, made up of a nucleus containing positively charged protons and electrically neutral neutrons, surrounded by negatively charged electrons.

2. How do atoms revolve?

Atoms revolve around their nucleus due to the attractive force between the positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons.

3. What is the frequency of revolution for atoms?

The frequency of revolution for atoms varies depending on the type of atom and its energy level. It is typically measured in units of hertz (Hz) or revolutions per second (rps).

4. How does the frequency of revolution affect an atom's properties?

The frequency of revolution plays a crucial role in determining an atom's properties, such as its size, stability, and reactivity. Atoms with higher frequencies of revolution tend to be smaller and more reactive, while those with lower frequencies are larger and less reactive.

5. Can the frequency of revolution be changed?

Yes, the frequency of revolution can be changed by altering the energy level of the atom. This can be achieved through various methods, such as applying an external energy source or changing the atom's environment. However, the frequency of revolution for each type of atom is determined by its unique atomic structure and cannot be changed permanently.