Electrical Engineering Attitude Problem in India

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
In summary: I think the rest of the material should have been covered in the first two years.In summary, the college I go to encourages students to focus on getting a job and barely passing their exams instead of actually becoming engineers. The teachers admit this should have been taught in the first few months of the program, and the syllabus should have been based on what students need to know to start working as engineers. The students are also unhappy with the college, and most of them say they will transfer if they can.
chaoseverlasting
I've just started studying electrical engineering in India; I am in my first year here. The college I go to is supposed to be a pretty good one, I think most, if not all, of the students graduating get jobs in the 7th semester. The attitude, however, is not what I thought would be prevalent in an engineering college. The students are more concerned about getting a job and barely clearing their exams than actually being engineers. Whats more, the system encourages such thinking, which is obvious in the attitude of the teachers (lets just get the course done), and in the very selection of the syllabus. Things which, by the teachers' own admission, should have been taught in six months (fundamentals of electro magnetism), were taught in three or four classes.

I was very keen on doing engineering when I entered college, I am very disheartened now. I am slightly confused as to how I should approach the problem. I am starting to lose interest in subjects, which I never thought Id give up! What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Change schools, now.

Yeah, looks like your school is more of a diploma factory than an actual University. It happens. If you can, I'd switch schools.

A school that only spends 3 classes on E&M, and other fundamental subjects, is not interested in producing good scientists and engineers.

You should consider transferring.

The problem is, that this is the prevailing situation in almost all the institutions I know of. Where do I transfer? The one possible exception is IIT, which I can't transfer to. I was thinking of transferring abroad, but I don't think I can raise the funds to do that. It shocked me to the core when I realized what was happening around me. I've completely stopped relying on my college, and now I am wondering if I should go through the next three years doing everything on my own or just playing their game by barely passing and pursuing my own interests. In short, I'm f****d right now.

Most of the engg colleges are like that only except IITs, dce & those which admit by AIEEE but that too good ones . Most of my frnds know you can't always be an engineer , MBA is necessary to have growth if u r in field of electronics , IT etc . I don't know how great engineers INDIA has produced but yes there are scientists & other people who are experts in their own field but today in INDIA engg is the fastest way to a secure job & money .

chaoseverlasting said:
The problem is, that this is the prevailing situation in almost all the institutions I know of. Where do I transfer? The one possible exception is IIT, which I can't transfer to. I was thinking of transferring abroad, but I don't think I can raise the funds to do that. It shocked me to the core when I realized what was happening around me. I've completely stopped relying on my college, and now I am wondering if I should go through the next three years doing everything on my own or just playing their game by barely passing and pursuing my own interests. In short, I'm f****d right now.

May I ask what rank your college is (if you know)?

Perhaps you should consider majoring in physics, where your classmates might be more academically minded.

Doing everything on your own 3 years can give you a fine education, but it can also (pardon me) screw with you mentally.

My last recommendation is to "play their game." Find a group of friends, go out and have fun, and you will see why they can barely pass their classes. Life is not only about work, and someone who expects to put their whole self into it (like you seem ready to do) is bound to be one day disappointed that almost no one cares.

There are frequent complaints about the current education system in India. Essentially, the university system is similar to the American "no child left behind" system where test passing replaced education. From what I hear from Indian educators, transferring to another Indian school generally would not help (though apparently there are several top drawer schools where this is not such a problem).

So, my advice is to "suck it up", get through school, get a job, and then learn on the job. It's hard, but what alternative do you have? When you start your first job, find an older engineer who seems bright and friendly and try to get him to mentor you. Other engineers apparently do this and India does have some good engineers, so it should work.

Electricity and Magnetism is a common class for engineers. It usually requires a three lecture/one lab weekly schedule. It strikes me as very odd that they aren't giving it that much attention.

If it really is as bad as you say, I think you might be dealing with a very underacheiving college. If you feel you are learning, you could get your degree, then consider going elsewhere for a grad degree. Hopefully, transferring during your undergrad years is an option.

There will always be classes you 'just want to get through'. If the students show enthusiasm towards their major, you will at least know that things are going well. I think at all universities there is a reduced interest in the 'core' engineering courses, like physics, beyond passing the course itself. The teachers are usually very serious about what they are teaching, though.

Try to get a feel for the people who are in their sophomore year at your school. You'll get a better idea what is to come than you can percieve in your freshman year.

chaoseverlasting said:

i've been there and i know how u feel. one thing i can recommend is try to apply for the universities in singapore. there's some scholarship with a few years bond and i suppose u won't have to shell out too much money by yourself. try checking out these universities - National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University.
many of the undergrads here those who come from India are 1st year college drop-outs in india.. so start applying quick before it's too late, if you think this is a viable option.
if you feel u want to still be in india, u can try to re-take the JEE or some standard entrance exam and apply to the IITs. I'm sure if u stay motivated and work hard, u can definitely crack these exams.
or if you're interested in pursuing pure science, you can try changing colleges, may be to a good science college in your state or elsewhere.
edit: if none of these sound practical, then u shud stop worrying and start focussing on ur college studies, try getting good grades and apply for graduate studies in some good university overseas.

Last edited:

1. What is the main issue with the "Electrical Engineering Attitude Problem" in India?

The main issue with the "Electrical Engineering Attitude Problem" in India is the lack of practical application and hands-on experience in the field. Many engineering programs in India focus heavily on theoretical knowledge rather than practical skills, leading to a gap between what is taught in the classroom and what is needed in the real world.

2. How does this attitude problem affect the electrical engineering industry in India?

This attitude problem greatly affects the electrical engineering industry in India as it leads to a shortage of skilled and competent engineers. Employers often struggle to find candidates with the necessary practical skills and end up hiring from other countries, causing a brain drain in the country.

3. What are some possible reasons for this attitude problem?

One possible reason for this attitude problem is the traditional mindset of Indian education, which values rote learning and academic excellence over practical skills. Additionally, the lack of emphasis on internships and hands-on projects in engineering programs also contributes to this problem.

4. What steps can be taken to address this attitude problem?

To address this attitude problem, there needs to be a shift in the education system towards more practical and project-based learning. Internships and industry collaborations should also be encouraged to provide students with hands-on experience. Additionally, engineering colleges should focus on soft skills development and instilling a problem-solving attitude in students.

5. How can individuals in the electrical engineering field in India improve their attitude?

Individuals in the electrical engineering field in India can improve their attitude by seeking out opportunities for practical learning and skill development, such as online courses, workshops, and internships. They should also actively participate in hands-on projects and collaborate with industry professionals to gain real-world experience. Additionally, having a growth mindset and constantly striving to improve and adapt to new technologies and techniques can also improve their attitude towards the field.