1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attraction and Repulsion Forces Between Magnets

1. Jun 20, 2007 #1
    How do you calculate the attraction and repulsion forces between two magnets? I know it depends on many factors, so for example: two 0.5"x0.5"x0.25" Neodynium magnets with a grade of 42 (Br = 13200 Gauss) that are 0.25" apart from each other (only air is separating them).

Thanks for any help in advance!

edit: **This is not a homework problem. After much research, I have been unable to find a way to calculate the forces between two magnets. It seems a lot of the science behind it is vague as of now. I have found one website that calculates these forces, but they don't list equations that are used. I tried to contact the company, but they haven't responded to me. I was wondering if anyone else had more insight into this.**
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2007 #2
    Is this a homework problem? If so you need to tell us some of your thoughts before we can help out. If not, perhaps you could repost in the general physics section (since you are free to get answers to hypothetical problems and questions there).

Superposition might be a good start.
  4. Jun 21, 2007 #3
    It's not a homework problem. I reposted it in the general physics forum with some additional info.
  5. Jun 21, 2007 #4
    In regards to superposition, I haven't found a good equation for the force from a magnet at a distance. I've found one for the force from a magnet on steel at a distance. However, the magnets I'm trying to use are not composed of steel.
  6. Jun 22, 2007 #5
    Anyone able to help?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?