Atwood Machine + Torque - need a nudge

In summary, the problem involves two weights connected by a light cord over a frictionless pulley supported by a hook on the ceiling. The task is to find the force exerted by the ceiling on the hook. Using the equations for moment of inertia and torque, and converting the tensions to torques, the linear acceleration can be related to the angular acceleration. Solving for the tensions and substituting in values, the final answer is the sum of the tensions and the weight of the pulley.
glossolalia

Homework Statement

Two weights, 75N (mass 1) & 125N (mass 2) are connected by a very light flexible cord that passes over a 70.0 N frictionless pulley of radius 0.200 m. The pulley is a solid uniform disk and is supported by a hook connected to the ceiling. What force does the ceiling exert on the hook?

Homework Equations

I_cylinder=mr^2/2
tau = I(alpha)
alpha= a(r)
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm realizing there're going to be two tensions on either side of the pulley and they are generating torque. What I've come up with:

7.653kg(a) = T_1 - 75N
12.755(a) = 125N - T_2
or
a = (T_1 - 75N)/7.653kg = (125N - T_2)/12.755

tau = 1.4kgm^2(.2m)(a)

(The angular acceleration (alpha) = .2*a)

I'm having a hard time substituting to get my values for my tension. i realize this is probably basic algebra that I'm just not seeing, but a push would really help. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
One torque will be positive, the other negative. Or, if you will, one is trying to make the pulley turn clockwise while the other opposes it. So in this case your net torque will be (T2 - T1)r.

Take another look at your value for the moment of inertia for the pulley; it looks like an order of magnitude slipped.

got sloppy and used the N instead of the kg for the inertia. right. so i get T_2 - T_1 = Ia/r

or .715kgm(a). I'm still staring at three variables and my eyes are starting to bleed.

T_2 - T_1 = .715kgm(a)
7.653kg(a) = T_1 - 75N
12.755(a) = 125N - T_2

sure, let's factor out a and get
(T_1 - 75N)/7.653kg = (125N - T_2)/12.755 = .715kgm/(T_2 - T_1)

now what? can you tell the 17 years between high school algebra and college physics is taking its toll?

Suppose we just consider masses for now, rather than weights. Also, let's avoid dragging actual numbers through the manipulations until the end game. Then for the tensions,

T1 = (a + g)m1 and T2 = (g - a)m2 (for suitable choice of direction for a).

Further, if we looks at the situation with the pulley,

α = (τ2 - τ1)/I

You can convert the tensions T1 and T2 to torques τ1 and τ2 by a brisk massage with r. And the angular acceleration is related to the linear acceleration by a = αr.

So take the expressions for the tensions, make them over into torques, and plug them into the angular acceleration equation. Convert α to a. Solve for a.

With a you can go back and solve for the two tensions, which you should be able to do something clever about to resolve the problem posed.

i knew it was something simple i was missing in substitution - if you say

T_2 = T_1 + 1/2m_pulley(a)
then
T_1 + 1/2m_pulley(a) = m_2(g-a)
then
T_1 = m_2(g) - (1/2m_pulley + m_2)a
then
m_2(g) - (1/2m_pulley + m_2)a = m_1(a-g)
and we get values

Thanks very much.

For anyone else working this problem, googling along, realize your final answer is going to be the sum of the tensions and the weight of the pulley. Huzzah!

1. What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate the principles of conservation of energy and Newton's laws of motion.

2. How does an Atwood machine work?

An Atwood machine works by using the force of gravity to accelerate the two masses in opposite directions. The heavier mass will accelerate downwards while the lighter mass accelerates upwards. The motion of the masses is controlled by the tension in the string and the mass difference between the two masses.

3. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

4. How does torque affect an Atwood machine?

Torque plays a crucial role in an Atwood machine as it determines the direction and magnitude of the acceleration of the masses. The torque applied by the weights on either side of the pulley must be equal for the system to be in equilibrium. If one mass is heavier, it will generate more torque and cause the system to accelerate in that direction.

5. Can you explain the concept of "need a nudge" in an Atwood machine?

The term "need a nudge" refers to the scenario where an Atwood machine is not in equilibrium and requires a small force to start moving. This is due to the fact that the system is initially at rest and requires a small external force to overcome the friction and start the motion of the masses. Once the motion begins, the system will continue to accelerate until it reaches equilibrium.