Atwood's machine with angular momentum

In summary: Which is also OK, as long as one is consistent.In summary, an Atwood's machine with two masses connected by an inelastic cord over a pulley is analyzed using the equations for angular momentum and torque. The solution involves calculating the angular momentum and torque for the system, taking into account the moment of inertia and radius of the pulley. The book solution considers the tensions as internal forces, while the simpleton approach separates the upper and lower halves and calculates the net torque on the wheel only. However, both approaches lead to the same angular acceleration for the system.
hitemup

Homework Statement

[/B]
An Atwood's machine consists of two masses, mA and mB, which are connected by an inelastic cord of negligible mass that passes over a pulley. If the pulley has radius R0 and moment of inertia I about its axle, determine the acceleration of the masses mA and mB.

Homework Equations

[/B]
L = mvr
T = dL/ dt

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This is an example from my textbook. The solution involves:

angular momentum about the axle = (mA +mB)vR0 + Iv/R0
torque about the axle = mBgR0 - mAgR0

Then it uses the equation T = dL/dt and finds accelerations of the masses.

What confuses me is the way it calculates the torque. When we were solving this exact same problem in rotational motion, the equations were like these:

mB*g - FTB = mB*a
FTA - mA*g = mA*a
(FTB - FTA )*r = I*a/r

How can angular momentum solution get rid of tensions in the torque equation?

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_0553.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0553.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The torque equation mBgR0 - mAgR0 is not correct.
At the pulley you have net torque = TA - TB

At mA you have TA - mA g R = mA aA
At mB you have TB - mB g R = mB aB
since aB = - aA the differerence has an extra term ( mA + mB ) aA

Yuo can also check that this gives the right relationship for a massless pulley, where the torque difference at the pulley must be zero.

BvU said:
The torque equation mBgR0 - mAgR0 is not correct.
At the pulley you have net torque = TA - TB

At mA you have TA - mA g R = mA aA
At mB you have TB - mB g R = mB aB
since aB = - aA the differerence has an extra term ( mA + mB ) aA

Yuo can also check that this gives the right relationship for a massless pulley, where the torque difference at the pulley must be zero.

I've uploaded the picture.

Can't argue with that, can we :) ?
Book calls that the external torque. I'm using a simpleton approach looking at the upper half and the lower half separately. So my net torque is on the wheel only and it gives the wheel an angular acceleration Iα. Book's external torque gives an angular acceleration to the whole lot: ( (mA + mB) R02 + I ) α

So fortunately we end up doing the same thing to calculate the same α. As we should ;)

Likes hitemup
So, for the record: I was a bit hasty stating "The torque equation is not correct" . Depends on what torque is meant.

And the answer to your original question is now clear, I hope: the book solution can avoid the tensions by considering them internal. In exchange the angular momentum then has to be for the whole system.

What is an Atwood's machine with angular momentum?

An Atwood's machine with angular momentum is a simple mechanical device used to demonstrate conservation of angular momentum. It consists of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley, with one mass being heavier than the other. The system is set into motion by releasing the masses from rest.

How does an Atwood's machine with angular momentum work?

As the heavier mass falls, it causes the pulley to rotate and the lighter mass to rise. The system continues to move until the lighter mass reaches the same height as the starting position of the heavier mass. This movement causes a transfer of angular momentum from the heavier mass to the pulley, resulting in a conservation of angular momentum.

What is the principle of conservation of angular momentum?

The principle of conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that the initial angular momentum of the system will be equal to the final angular momentum, even if the individual components of the system are in motion.

What factors affect the angular momentum of an Atwood's machine?

The angular momentum of an Atwood's machine is affected by the mass and velocity of the two masses, the radius of the pulley, and the moment of inertia of the pulley. The greater the mass and velocity of the two masses, the greater the angular momentum. A larger pulley or one with a larger moment of inertia will also result in a larger angular momentum.

What are some real-world applications of Atwood's machine with angular momentum?

Atwood's machine with angular momentum can be found in many everyday objects, such as bicycles, yo-yos, and merry-go-rounds. It is also commonly used in industrial settings, such as in conveyor belts and pulley systems, and in the construction of cranes and elevators. Understanding the principles of conservation of angular momentum is also important in fields such as robotics and aerospace engineering.