Example Problem in the book, why is tension ignored?

In summary, an Atwood machine with two masses connected by an inelastic cord over a pulley can be analyzed as a single system, ignoring the tensions in the string. This means that the torque equation can be simplified to mgR - MgR, with the angular momentum equation being L = (m + M)vR + I(v/r). However, it is also possible to break up the problem and treat the masses and pulley separately, resulting in three equations. The use of dL/dt can only be applied from an inertial frame of reference, while t = Ia can be used to solve for the acceleration when considering the two tensions in the system.
jzhu

Homework Statement

An Atwood machine consists of two masses, M and m, which are connected by an inelastic cord of negligible mass that passes over a pulley. If the pulley has radius R and moment of inertia I about its axle, determine the acceleration of the masses M and m.

Homework Equations

torque = dL/dt
L(angular momentum) = R x v
L = Iω

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the solution in the book. I have no idea why tension of the string is ignored.

L = (m + M)vR + I(v/r) <- this part makes sense to me
torque = mgR - MgR <- this part does not make sense to me

Following the Atwood machine, shouldn't the forces for both m and M be something like
ΣF = F(tension) - mg = ma (differing signs depending on which is going down, of course)[/B]

Instead, the book has it as ΣF = mg

So then since torque is equal to RF, they get that torque = mgR

But my idea is that torque in this case is equal to RF(tension of m) - RF(tension of M)
which would mean that
torque = R(ma + mg) - R(mg - ma)

After this, we just plug torque into the t = dL/dt equation, and with the factored out velocity that we get from the total angular momentum, get acceleration from dv/dt and simple algebra reveals that the answer is a = (m-M)g/(m+M)+I/R^2.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
jzhu said:
L = (m + M)vR + I(v/r) <- this part makes sense to me
jzhu said:
torque = mgR - MgR <- this part does not make sense to me
The book is treating the two masses and pulley as a single system. The tensions in the string would be internal to the system, so they can be ignored.

You can certainly break up the problem and treat the two masses and pulley separately, getting three equations. Then you can solve for the acceleration that way.

Likes jzhu
Hm, I just solved it using t = Ia with the 2 forces. So does does mean that dl/dt can only be used from an inertial frame of reference? Or do dl/dt = ia?

jzhu said:
Hm, I just solved it using t = Ia with the 2 forces.
If you mean the two tensions, then that's fine. ΣT = Iα

jzhu said:
So does does mean that dl/dt can only be used from an inertial frame of reference? Or do dl/dt = ia?
If you let L = the angular momentum of the pulley only, then dL/dt will equal Iα.

Ok, thanks!

Related to Example Problem in the book, why is tension ignored?

1. Why is tension ignored in the example problem?

Tension is often ignored in example problems because it is assumed to be negligible or not significant enough to affect the overall outcome of the problem. In many cases, the effects of tension are small enough to be disregarded in order to simplify the problem and focus on the main factors at play.

2. Is tension always ignored in scientific problems?

No, tension is not always ignored in scientific problems. It depends on the specific problem being analyzed and the level of accuracy required. In some cases, tension may be a crucial factor and must be taken into account in order to accurately solve the problem.

3. How do scientists determine whether tension should be included in a problem or not?

Scientists evaluate the magnitude and direction of tension in relation to other forces acting on the system. If the tension is significantly smaller than the other forces or if it does not have a significant effect on the outcome of the problem, it may be ignored. However, if the tension is a major factor in the problem, it must be included in the analysis.

4. Are there any consequences to ignoring tension in a problem?

There may be some consequences to ignoring tension in a problem. If the tension is not negligible and is left out of the analysis, the results may be inaccurate. This can be especially problematic in experiments or real-life scenarios where small changes in tension can significantly impact the outcome.

5. Are there any real-world applications where tension is commonly ignored?

Yes, there are many real-world applications where tension is commonly ignored. For example, in structural engineering, tension in materials such as steel is often ignored in calculations because it is assumed to be negligible compared to the compression forces acting on the structure. However, in cases where tension is a significant factor, it must be taken into account to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.