Atwood Machine with a twist - String with Mass

In summary, the conversation is about a student studying for their final undergraduate assessment and using advanced versions of familiar problems as a study method. The problem at hand involves finding the equation of motion for a rope suspended over a pulley using energy methods. The conversation also briefly mentions the Hamiltonian method as an alternative approach. The student is unsure of how to solve the resulting differential equation and asks for help.
Alucius
Hello all. I've read the forums a few times for help but this is my first time posting, so please bear with me if I make a few mistakes.

I'm studying for my final undergrad assessment, so I thought a good way to study would be to make "advanced" versions of problems I'm already familiar with. Here's one I came up with but I'm not quite sure I'm on the right track exactly.

Homework Statement

A rope, of mass [tex]M[/tex] and length [tex]L[/tex] (and it's uniform density [tex]\lambda[/tex], for simplicity) is suspended over an idealized pulley (no masses attached to the rope for now). It's released from rest at time [tex]t = 0[/tex] with the length of one side (The right side, for the heck of it) being length [tex]y[/tex]0. I want to find the equation of motion of the string.

Homework Equations

I like using Energy methods, so I'll go with that here:
[tex]E = T + V[/tex]
[tex]T = 1/2 m \dot{y}^2[/tex]
[tex]V = m g y_{cm}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Find the total Kinetic Energy of the system:
[tex]T = T_{right} + T_{left} = 1/2y\lambda\dot{y}^2 + 1/2(L-y)\lambda\dot{y}^2 = 1/2M\dot{y}^2[/tex]
And the total potential:
[tex]V = V_{right} + V_{left} = -\frac{\lambda g}{2} y^2 - \frac{\lambda g}{2}(L-y)^2 = -\frac{\lambda g}{2}(L^2 - 2Ly + 2y^2)[/tex]

So the total energy is constant and has the value
[tex]E = T + V = 1/2M\dot{y}^2 - \frac{\lambda g}{2}(L^2 - 2Ly + 2y^2)[/tex]
So let's plug in our initial conditions to find the equation of motion at any time!
At [tex]t=0, y=y_0, \dot{y}=0[/tex]:
[tex]-\frac{\lambda g}{2}(L^2 - 2Ly_0 + 2y_0^2) = 1/2M\dot{y}^2 - \frac{\lambda g}{2}(L^2 - 2Ly + 2y^2)[/tex]
Which simplifies to:
[tex]2g(Ly_0-y_0^2) = L\dot{y}^2 + 2g(Ly-y^2)[/tex]

This is a differential equation of the form [tex]\dot{y}^2 + \alpha y^2 + \beta y = C[/tex].

I have no idea how to solve this final differential equation. Is it possible that if you choose some clever variable to substitue in you can turn it into an easily solvable linear equation? Or did I mess up somewhere in my Energy equations?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, good luck and I hope that you have fun with this. I'm unfamiliar with your terminology. Are you just now entering grad school, or just now entering college?

Alucius said:
I like using Energy methods, so I'll go with that here:
Good. That is always my first way to attempt a problem, as well. I still remember the day that I realized, under the guidance a faculty member, that energy is an extremely powerful tool to solve physics problems.

Alucius said:
So the total energy is constant and has the value
[tex]E = T + V = 1/2M\dot{y}^2 - \frac{\lambda g}{2}(L^2 - 2Ly + 2y^2)[/tex]
While I don't have time to check the details of your calculation here (it seems correct), you may consider using the Hamiltonian method. You start with the Lagrangian, L=T-V, and then obtain the Hamiltonian, H=T+V, which is basically E=T+V fancied up a bit. The disadvantage is that you get twice as many variables. The advantage is that you get differential equations that are typically much more approachable.

Alucius said:
This is a differential equation of the form [tex]\dot{y}^2 + \alpha y^2 + \beta y = C[/tex].

I have no idea how to solve this final differential equation. Is it possible that if you choose some clever variable to substitue in you can turn it into an easily solvable linear equation? Or did I mess up somewhere in my Energy equations?
I don't have time right now to check if you messed up somewhere, but I will say that the way that you approached the problem typically does lead to a scary looking differential equation. Assuming that you have obtained the correct equations, then you could always take the square root. Then you will end up with a first order ordinary differential equation, and "everyone" knows how to solve those. ;) (in principle, you can solve a first order ordinary differential equation by "brute force".)

1. What is an Atwood Machine with a twist?

An Atwood Machine with a twist refers to a modified version of the traditional Atwood Machine, which consists of two masses connected by a string that passes over a pulley. In this modified version, the string itself has a mass, which affects the acceleration of the masses and adds a new element to the system.

2. How does the inclusion of a string with mass affect the Atwood Machine?

The inclusion of a string with mass adds an additional force to the system, known as the string tension force. This force is caused by the weight of the string itself and must be taken into account when calculating the acceleration and tension in the string.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of the masses in an Atwood Machine with a twist?

The acceleration of the masses in an Atwood Machine with a twist is affected by the difference in mass between the two masses, the mass of the string, and the force of gravity acting on the system. The angle of the string and the friction between the string and the pulley may also have an impact.

4. How is tension calculated in an Atwood Machine with a twist?

To calculate the tension in the string of an Atwood Machine with a twist, you must first calculate the acceleration of the system. Then, use the equation T = m[(g-a)/sinθ], where T is the tension, m is the mass of the string, g is the acceleration due to gravity, a is the acceleration of the system, and θ is the angle of the string.

5. What are the real-world applications of an Atwood Machine with a twist?

An Atwood Machine with a twist can be used to model and understand various systems in physics, such as elevators, cranes, and pulley systems. It can also be used to demonstrate the principles of tension, acceleration, and forces in a hands-on way. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as engineering and robotics.